cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deadpixels
Message 1 of 11

Upgraded to Infinity 2 but limited to Infinity 1 speed?

Hi,

I upgraded my BT Infinity contract from Infinity 1, to Infinity 2. As all the estimator's suggested that the new property could achieve speeds around 65 - 80mbps, with a minimum of around 60mbps.

Untitled..pngUntitled.png

Line Statistics

Untitled...png

The maximum data rate suggests i've had slightly higher speeds? but i've never seen a speed test any higher than about 51mbps down, 9.5mbps up.

I believe the information above indicates that the new line is set up for Infinity 1, even though I'm paying for Infinity 2.

It's connected to the master socket (NTE 5c Mk4), and recently had a Dis. 1 leg fault somehere on the line fixed, so there should be no issues on the line itself.

How can I get this confirmed / fixed. I'm getting absolutely nowhere with telephone support. Just keep getting told that 80mbps means upto 80 and that there's nothing wrong with my line Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Upgraded to Infinity 2 but limited to Infinity 1 speed?

@deadpixels wrote:

Hi,

I upgraded my BT Infinity contract from Infinity 1, to Infinity 2. As all the estimator's suggested that the new property could achieve speeds around 65 - 80mbps, with a minimum of around 60mbps.

Untitled..pngUntitled.png

Line Statistics

Untitled...png

The maximum data rate suggests i've had slightly higher speeds? but i've never seen a speed test any higher than about 51mbps down, 9.5mbps up.

No, it means your line is capable of higher speeds, not that you have achieved them.

I believe the information above indicates that the new line is set up for Infinity 1, even though I'm paying for Infinity 2.

Again no, your upstream speed is higher than the Infinity 1 cap indicatin that you are on Infinity2

It's connected to the master socket (NTE 5c Mk4), and recently had a Dis. 1 leg fault somehere on the line fixed, so there should be no issues on the line itself.

How can I get this confirmed / fixed. I'm getting absolutely nowhere with telephone support. Just keep getting told that 80mbps means upto 80 and that there's nothing wrong with my line Smiley Sad

There is obviously a problem somewhere withyour line as your noise margin is high. Is the 56minute DSL uptime due to you resetting the hub or the line dropping.

Are you connected to the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket? Is there any noise on a quiet line test 17070?

0 Ratings
deadpixels
Message 3 of 11

I restarted this morning, was having problems connecting to youtube on the tv Smiley LOL thought it might help

Quiet line test is fine, doesn't seem to be any change wether connected to the test socket, or main socket on the faceplate,

Just seems odd being so close to the PCP, I never get above the same speeds i was getting on Infinity 1, yet I see a lot of people about the same distance if not further away getting better speeds that's all

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

when you tried the test socket with a filter did you check to see if the attainable speed increased even though the conencted speed may not have changed?  di you also check that while in test socket there is no dial tone at any extension socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
deadpixels
Message 5 of 11

Yeah, didn't notice any change, it's the only socket in the property, no extension's

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 11

Infinity 1 is upto 55Mb, if the guaranteed minimum is 60Mb for your Infinity 2 , then unless upload speed is a big factor in deciding the product to go for , then paying extra for the 'extra' 5Mb download ( the only guaranteed increase over infinity 1 ) may be pointless.
If you are plugged into the test port , and if any extension sockets exist , they all go 'dead' then as far as practical your internal setup is as good as you can make it, so if the max attainable is 64Mb, which is just outside the clean range estimate , then a 55Mb service may be more suitable, as in real world situations the difference between 55Mb and 60Mb is negligible, bearing in mind you should sync at 55Mb on Infinity 1.
If you haven't already done so , preferably with a corded phone in the test port, dial 17070 and take the quite line test, if the line has no 'noise' , then it could be that the quality/distance of the outside line to the FTTC cab dictates that 64Mb is the best sync speed you will get, that doesn't mean its faulty though, FTTC is rate dependent , the closer to the FTTC cab, the closer to the max speed to product delivers.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 11

At present downstream noise margin is 8.2.  Depending on how long the line has been active since upgrade this may reduce to the 6.0 target increasing speed and then further reduce to 3.0 when/if G.INP kicks in again increasing speed.

I would leave it 14 days and revisit it then.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
deadpixels
Message 8 of 11

yeah, might just go back to Infinity 1 tbh, everything's good as far as the line goes etc. 

just kind of expected a little more, being so close to the PCP, literally less than 5 minutes walking distance away, about 300 metres

0 Ratings
deadpixels
Message 9 of 11

@pippincpwrote:

At present downstream noise margin is 8.2.  Depending on how long the line has been active since upgrade this may reduce to the 6.0 target increasing speed and then further reduce to 3.0 when/if G.INP kicks in again increasing speed.

I would leave it 14 days and revisit it then.

not sure if you mean how long it's been since i upgraded? but it was ordered in march 2018

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

It does look to me like your line is being capped so possibly there is a line fault causing DLM to drop the speed for stability.  I think you should be able to get at least 65 Mbps based on your current SNR margin if your line is error free.  Worth trying to get a line check in case it picks something up.

0 Ratings