cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k77880
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Upgraded to Infinity speeds slower than before!

Hi

I upgraded from from (Rura)l broadband connection to infinity which was activated yesterday and the speed is no better than before if not worse!

I was expecting it to change overnight but it hasnt - speed test showing 3mbps when i log into the router and 1.7mbps when i speed test over my wifi in my ipad. the Bt rep said she could see speeds of 6mbps but if she can see those speeds why am i not seeing them on my router? 

I have spoken to BT and they say i have to wait 10 days for the speed to 'settle down' - im hoping the 'down' part doesnt mean any lower!!

is this normal? shouldnt i be seeing some sort of improvement after the changeover straight away?

I think a little more info would have been helpful when i signed up as i was just told it will be activated on the 3rd and you will get speeds of 50mbps - i spent over an hour on hold to Bt.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Upgraded to Infinity speeds slower than before!

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-24 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

or

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

0 Ratings
k77880
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

thanks

ive taken screen shots

dont understand them so your help is appreciatedspeed check1.JPGspeedtest3.JPGspeedtest4.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

What connection speed were you getting on regular broadband?

You really need to wait for LR-VDSL to become wide spread.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
k77880
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

we were getting bewtween 3.5-4 mbps but havent reached that yet!!

What do you mean wen you say 'You really need to wait for LR-VDSL to become wide spread'

is that the infinity?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

If you were getting 3-4 you'd probably be better off going back to regular broadband, although you probably have a faster upload on the fibre based connection.

LR-VDSL or is a product that openreach are testing at the moment to improve the range of broadband for those on longer lines.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
k77880
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

a little more info on what these screen shots tell you in regards to my internet service would be much appreciated thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Ok so the data rate is the up/down connection rate. So your line is connected at 1.1meg upstream and a smidge over 3meg downstream.

The noise margin being around 6 shows there's no real room for improvement.

The attenution of 47db is extremely high for VDSL (the technology that fibre to the cabinet broadband uses) and is a measurement of "loss" over distance.
k77880
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

so..... the data rate?- does that mean i wont get any higher than 3mbps?

and the 47db - is that showing that im too far away from the exchange to get any high speed?

if this is the case and bt are supposed to be providing me with fibre broadband at 55mbps then why is the table showing these figures - surely if i was meant to get speeds of 55mbps and there was a drop it would go down to 15 or 10 even not 2...?

is there any way that they just havent actually connected me to fibre yet?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 16

You are connected to a VDSL (FTTC) line but are too far away from the cabinet to attain any faster speed. You should never have been sold Infinity in the first place.

0 Ratings