Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m0nster
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Upgraded to infinity and still getting broadband speeds

Go to solution

Hi!

Basically I'm doing this on behalf of my parents as they're pretty stupid when it comes to this kind of thing.

My dad upgraded our broadband to infinity as all we could get was around 2mb on standard broadband, but since upgrading they have not noticed any kind of change in speed so I did a speed test and they are still getting around the same speeds as they were before. Also I noticed when I took my laptop round there one weekend over Xmas to do some gaming that my ping was always between 700 and 999.

They're really pulling there hair out with this as they're paying £40+ for infinity and expect to be getting something more than this. My dad has phoned up the call centre hundreds of times and has started to really lose his rag with them as all they do is read from a script and can't offer any real help.

I have had a lot of really useful help from these forums in the past so if you guys can help me to help them that would be great.

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Upgraded to infinity and still getting broadband speeds

Go to solution

It may be that they have had a bad install but before doing anything else can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This will help to diagnose the problem. Do the tests with a wired connection not wireless.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
m0nster
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for your quick reply. Here are my results.

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean)77.559.12018.6--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)66.838.12013.3--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3--2 to 4Available
ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1.5 to 3.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available
Fixed Rate1----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available

Download speed (Mbps): 4.13
Upload speeds (Mbps): 6.20
Ping latency (ms): 50.00

For the diagnostics I get this error 

FAQ

null

You appear to have not logged on as speedtest@speedtest_domain. In order to run the next test you should login as speedtest@speedtest_domain.

Please wait while you are redirected..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

With out the further diagnostics part your IP profile is not shown so it doesn't help in diagnosing your problem but I would suggest that you contact BT and report a fault to them and emphasise that it has been that way since it was installed and you suspect it has been a poor install and you would like the problem investigated.

0 Ratings
m0nster
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Just gave it another go and it seems to be working now =]

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 6.13 Mbps

0 Mbps8.52 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.13 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 6.81 Mbps-8.52 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 8.52 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 4.98 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4.98Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

The up IP profile shows that you are on Infinity 2 and the estimater shows that depending on the quality of your line you should get speeds between 38Mbps and 77.5 Mbps and obviously you are getting nowhere near that.

Your download IP profile is 8.52Mbps which is very low and would tend to indicate that DLM (Dynamic Line Management) has lowered the speed to try and maintain a stable connection. This could be because of either a fault on the line or as I have already said, a poor install.

Which ever it is it will require you to report a fault to BT and have them send out an engineer to investigate.

One thing you could try before that is to do a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. Once you have done that carry out another speed test. If no improvement you will need to report a fault.

m0nster
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for that. I'll give the factory reset a go and if not then I'll report the fault

Thanks.

0 Ratings