cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Upgrading to Fibre to House

Hi,

Openreach have recently be in the area to upgrade the copper wiring to fibre direct to the house.

I placed an order yesterday to upgrade to Fibre, therefore an engineer is booked in to do an installation.

I have been advised the engineer needs to install a new white modem for the fibre. After seeing the size of the modem I'm conscious about were they fit this modem, as I want it hidden out the way where it can't be seen. 

What needs to be connected to this new modem? I don't use the phone line so I presume the only thing I need to connect is the modem to the new hub.

I drew up a quick plan of the area just to get a better understanding of what to expect when the engineer arrives.

If I decided for the hub to be fitted behind the TV I don't want any wires running along the edge of the room therefore area would the engineer run the wire around the outside of the house  and the external walls? 

If the above couldn't be done my other option would be to fit the modem and hub behind the lounge door where it will be right next to the connection box outside of the house.  Am i correct in thinking there will be no additional wiring as Sky, TV etc can run on a wirelessly. 

I understand a lot of people wouldn't be fussed about the positioning of but any help is appreciated. 

Cheers
Ste

Layout.JPG

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Upgrading to Fibre to House

Its only tiny, so it should fit anywhere. You will need to discuss it with Openreach when they visit.

Capture.JPG

Has your order been placed with BT Retail?

I assume you are not having BT TV then?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Thanks Keith, from the pictures I've seen online it looked a lot bigger than that.
Yes through BT Retail and no I havent't got BT TV
Cheers
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

@Ste0108 wrote:
Thanks Keith, from the pictures I've seen online it looked a lot bigger than that.
Yes through BT Retail and no I havent't got BT TV
Cheers

It depends what is fitted, but I understand that the one I have shown, is now the latest.

You may have been looking at some of the older installations which were much bigger.

@Starwire  knows a lot about these things.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

The box that is fitted externally, I presume a wire from there goes inside the house and then has to be connected to modem is that correct?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

@Ste0108 wrote:
The box that is fitted externally, I presume a wire from there goes inside the house and then has to be connected to modem is that correct?

It would be an optical fibre that comes in, but I think the entry point can be chosen, within reason. I am sure you will get advice from other forum members who have recent installs.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

@Ste0108wrote:

Not all installations have a "Box" (Customer Splice Point) outside. Whichever type of install the fibre optic has to get from ouside to inside and fit to the ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

So if I had the modem fitted behind the door which has power a supply and set up hub there is that all I would require? There would no additional wires needed to go the Sky, TV etc as i'll set them up wirelessly.
Apologies I don't a great deal about the new setup required.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

@Ste0108wrote:
So if I had the modem fitted behind the door which has power a supply and set up hub there is that all I would require? There would no additional wires needed to go the Sky, TV etc as i'll set them up wirelessly.
Apologies I don't a great deal about the new setup required.

Correct.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Thank you Pippincp
Does have pictures of their installs as I've seen some on the message board and then look awful which is making think twice about the install.
Can the cable be attached external attached to the house? Can the cable be bent 90 degrees to get around corners as the BT advisor informed it was glass inside so there was limited flex in the cable.
0 Ratings