cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisB
Expert
Message 1 of 9

Upgrading to Infinity

My line will shortly be upgrade to Infinity. I'm currently on ADSL2+.

I'd like to upgrade to Infinity 2 but I will need to discuss and negotiate a deal.

I already have a perfectly working Homehub 5 so do not need another one so would like a price reduction for this. I'd like the telephone line moved to my office which is less than 5m from a junction box on the outside wall where the DP line comes in. Currently it is taken 15m, or so, from this junction box to the hall and my office is on a slave socket. I don't want to pay £130 for this or to have a 15m return line from the hall to my office for the changed master socket.

Has anyone any idea who I might contact?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Upgrading to Infinity

to upgrade I would sugegst you use the options team 0800800030 they are uk based.  upgrading there is little negotiation as the demand of fibre is great not like the adsl discounts.  you won't get a discount for not needing a HH5.

as far as move is concerned it may be that you get a self install or it may be a contractor not openreach.  the contractor are known to just connect to existing master and if infinity works then they are off

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

If you are on ADSL don't expect any deals on upgrading to Infinity also do not expect a reduction in price because you already have a HH5.

If you get a BT engineer visit to istall your Infinity he may move your master socket for you. If not you will need to contact BT and pay £130 for that to be done.

Have you checked what estimated speeds you will get and is it worth getting Infinity 2. Your speeds may only warrant Infinity 1.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Line stats:

From homehub

Downstream:19.73 Mbps
Upstream:1.055 Mbps

From checker

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 14--8 to 18.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 14Up to 18 to 18.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 8--7 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand33030--Available
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Going by that estimate you can not get FTTC or Infinity. You can only get Fibre on Demand which is aimed at businesses and is expensive.

Is there a cabinet number showing? If it does not show a cabinet number it will be because you are on an Exchange Only(EO) line. This means you can not get Infinity because you are not connected to a cabinet, instead you are connected directly to the exchange.

Sometime in the future Openreach may install a cabinet out side the exchange and this will allow EO lines to connect to a cabinet. This however is not high on their priority list so may take some time.

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 6 of 9

If you read my original email I said that my line will shortly be upgraded to Infinity. It is marked as EA (Enabled area) on the Openreach website. It was an EO line but it is now on Cabinet 10 according to that site. The ADSL speed, I guess, gives a good indication of Infinity's speed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

If I hadn't read your post I wouldn't have been able to reply!

ADSL speed does not necessarily indicate a good VDSL speed.

If your line is connected to a cabinet it should be shown on the above estimate checker which would also give an estimted go live date. 

0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

You won't get a reduction for a HH5 as you don't pay for it, usually only the delivery charge....

Ref to moving the NTE into you man cave, if you have an Engineer Install it comes with a HWS but ultimately its up to the Engineer if he/she **bleep**s the NTE or installs a new Cat5 Data EXTN from the current NTE location to your man cave...... Realistically the Engineer will do what's easier for them......

It's more than likely though you'll be given a Self Install as most ISP's prefer to do that now as they only cost £50 as opposed to an Engineer Install, which costs £100......
0 Ratings
Highlighted
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

Shifts isn't a swear word? Or did I miss out the 'F'...?

Must have done.... Opppps.....
0 Ratings