cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Upload and Download speed is much lower than usual, Fluctuating ping makes gaming impossible

Been with BT for a long time and usually have a good experience but as of the past couple of months i have noticed fluctuating ping and very low upload speeds. 

I'm getting 16mb download which means when downloading games its more like 2mb/s which is just too slow.

I am also plugged in to the router using an ethernet cable and both I and those using wifi are experiencing the same problems. 

Thanks and i hope you can help.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Upload and Download speed is much lower than usual, Fluctuating ping makes gaming impossible

16Mb is around 2MB, I suspect  you have your M’s ,B’s , b’s  and m’s mixed up.
without knowing what you should expect and comparing it to what you do get its impossible to give any opinion, perhaps you can post your router stats and the results from here.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Re: Upload and Download speed is much lower than usual, Fluctuating ping makes gaming impossible

Hi here is the results.
My current package is Fibre with Halo 1 

fumbo_0-1594148824542.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

You should be getting between 31-46mbps. Can you post the connection stats from the hub. Advanced settings/technical log/information.

Also check for noise on the line. 17070 option 2 best with corded phone.

Message 5 of 9

Thanks for helping, im having trouble finding the technical log, although i see " event log" under troubleshooting.

I am on the BT home hub 5 advanced settings window.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

If hh5 the troubleshooting then helpdesk

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 9

Ahh here it is, my router has been a little unstable so that's why uptime is so low haha

fumbo_0-1594153237822.png

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Bump
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Your line does seem to be underperforming, you haven’t said if you tried a quiet line test, you need to use the master socket test port and with a (preferably corded ) phone, dial 17070 , quiet line test and listen , there should be no noise , if there is, report your line as noisy.

Have you tried your router plugged into the master socket test port ?, try connecting the router in the test port , and check the router stats again ( maybe post them here as well) , to see if there is an improvement.

Where do you normally plug in your router ? , the master socket or an extension socket, if the master socket do you have any extension sockets ( even if they don’t have anything plugged into them )

Your max attainable is around 21Mb with a sync rate of around 18Mb, this is below the impacted speed estimate , so chances are you have a line problem ( Openreach problem ) or your internal setup is poor ( your problem )

0 Ratings