cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 25

Re: Upload bandwidth keeps dropping to very slow speed

Thanks.  Here's the connection speed reported by the modem.  I can't find any info on connection speed in the router (it's an ASUS RT-AC87U) but I'll keep looking.  

speedtest.net is also showing the same results.

broadband_modem_speed.pngbroadband-speedtest.png

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 25

Is there anywhere in stats that shows attainable speed?

have you been having connection problems with router dropping connection or trying manual reset to improve speed or maybe a combination of both

you are currently in a banded profile hence why you keep getting a connection speed of just short of 44mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 25

Yes I’ve been restarting the modem whenever I notice the upload speed has dropped to 266kbps as I can’t work from home with that bandwidth and restarting the modem fixes it.

While searching around this issue I did read that doing that can put you in a banded profile and that it needs to be left for 10 days, but like I say that’s not a workable solution for me while trying to work from home.  I can cope if it stays at 3/40 but when it drops to 266kbps on the upstream I have to do the restart.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 25

Unfortunately if you continue with your restarts then hub will not recover and in fact your connection could get worse as DLM drops you to lower band to try and stabilise your line

it will take longer than 10 days stable for banding to release

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 25

Ok, thanks for all the help so far.  Any idea what my best next steps are other than just trying to wait it out?  Whatever is causing the speed to drop to 266kbps up is the real problem that I need to sort out.

I’ve not had it do that yet since switching to the test socket so is it best to stay connected to that to see if I still get the drop in order to help figure out if that’s an issue with the line vs. internal wiring?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 25

Yes, stay in the test socket for now.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 25

Just wanted to report back that since switching to the test socket I've not experienced the odd drops in upstream bandwidth, so it looks likely to be an internal wiring issue.  I'm still banded, but the speeds have also jumped up to 20 up / 60 down.  This has all been without the phone connected to the micro filter, which I'm going to try over the weekend.  Given that in this case the "test" socket actually is the socket I'll just continue to run this way until I can get someone out to take a look at the wiring.  Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

broadband-test-socket.png

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 25

Looks like I spoke too soon!  I didn't end up plugging the phone back in (I forgot), and this is still in the test socket.  Just now I noticed the internet seemed slow.  Checking in the modem I'm getting 234kbps up and down has dropped back to 45 meg.  Any further suggestions?  I'm not going to restart the modem this time, I'll just leave it and see if it recovers.

broadband-bad-again.png

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 25

is it a new filter you are using?  have you checked to see if any line noise that could be causing drops in test socket?

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 25

It’s not a brand new filter, it’s borrowed.

Tried the quiet line test on this socket (still through the filter as I’m trying not to disconnect the modem as advised) with a corded phone and can’t hear any line noise...

0 Ratings