Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cedwards38
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Upload speed decreased

Go to solution

A few months back my upload dropped from ~6Mb to ~1Mb, I've managed to endure it for most of that time, but it's severely hampering my ability to work from home.

From what I've been able to deduce, this is probably due to a change in the line profile which is less tolerant of a less-than-stellar SNR.

In additon, I'm using a non-BT router/modem combo (Netgear D7000), but switching back to the HomeHub (5) did not improve the situation.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

DSLChecker:
Line Stats

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
cedwards38
Beginner
Message 2 of 13

Re: Upload speed decreased

Go to solution

Line Stats from the Modem/Router:

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 11.20.32.png

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

have you checked for line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps by eliminating your internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cedwards38
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

I'll see if I can borrow a corded phone from someone in the office, I don't even own a cordless phone 🙂

I'm using the built-in filter in the master socket - connected directly, is it still worth trying the test socket? It'll take some time for the line to be re-trained anyway from what I understand, how long would it be worth using this setup for?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

using the test socket with a filter should be your best conenction especially if you have extension sockets in other rooms

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cedwards38
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

I've just done the quiet test via the extension circuit, main socket (with extension circuit plugged in) and the test socket - the results were consistent, I couldn't hear any difference between any of the three.

Stats via in-socket microfilter:

builtin-microfilter.PNG

Stats via external microfilter, plugged into test socket:

microfilter-via-test-socket.PNG

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

As you are currently in a banded profile I didn't expect down speed to change but does router show a max attainable speed 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

i think you are going to need an engineer visit to get your up speed within dslchecker estimate. You could ask the broadband engineer if he will reset the DLM which will get you released from banding

cedwards38
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Ah, thanks for the article - that's the best source of DLM information I've seen yet!

My download speed's been around the 35-38Mbps mark for the past 4 years or so, it dropped from the initial 50 very swiftly, so I'm not too fussed about that. The upload was a very sudden change towards the end of summer last year, so I was slightly surprised to see that the downstream hadn't really been affected.

Do you think it's worth giving it some time via the master socket to see if DLM adjusts the profile or just to go straight for an engineer?

The external lines are pretty old here - they're all up on pylons, so I wouldn't be surprised if something had taken a bit of a beating in the wind.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

I would get engineer visit by complaining that your up speed is outside the estimated range and when you get broadband engineer get home to reset the DLM. That will be far quicker than waiting for DLM to release the banding - more like months than weeks if at all

cedwards38
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Cool, I'll do that! Thanks for the help 🙂

0 Ratings