cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kenzor
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Upload speed keeps dropping significantly!

Hi,

We’ve been having this problem for quite some time now and have called BT numerous times about it and never get anywhere with them on the phone so I’m hoping someone can help me out here.

We are currently on “fibre optic” broadband but it is a half copper line and half fibre (or something like that). Now we live out in the sticks so our speeds are not great as it is but we normally get between 5-8mbps download and around 1mbps upload.

For the past few weeks now (possibly months) the internet cuts out by itself almost every evening and immediately turns back on again, quite frustrating when you’re right in the middle of streaming for example. We have also noticed significant upload speed drops to almost 0 at random points of the day. I have checked the event logs and there are a lot of entries that say BLOCKED number of packets, but it’s mostly gibberish to me. We have the Home Hub 5 by the way.

Is there any solution to this? I can post any details needed. Please help!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Upload speed keeps dropping significantly!

can you post stats from hh5 - troubleshooting then helpdesk

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

are you using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps stability by eliminating your internal wiring

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone

run btspeedtester diagnostic test and post results  must be done with corded phone and best use IE/Edge http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Kenzor
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

https://imgur.com/gallery/Ejb5EMq

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ60912574
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated 11/07/17
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 09:43:02
6. Data rate:1110 / 7900
7. Maximum data rate:1111 / 7985
8. Noise margin:6.3 / 4.7
9. Line attenuation:17.8 / 39.4
10. Signal attenuation:17.8 / 29.2
11. Data sent/received:2.0 GB / 6.9 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-5FZF
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-5FZF
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:90:72:82:8b:52:34
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0

We currently don’t have a landline phone so we’re unable to test the line

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

I would suggest you invest about £5 in getting a cheap corded phone as it is essential when testing for phone and broadband problems. Using the test socket with a phone can show if there is line noise or in fact no dial tone - broadband can work when phone has no dial tone but slowly

it helps ensure the problem is outseide your home and this will save you the engineer callout fee of £129.99 so as I said a great  investment

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Kenzor
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Are we unable to come to a conclusion without the landline test? I will get a landline phone in the meantime

0 Ratings
Kenzor
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

I plugged in a landline phone and did the quiet test and there is no noise on the line

0 Ratings
Kenzor
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

After calling BT *AGAIN* to have them say there are no problems on their end, I have finally come to the end of my tether. No changes have been made and no one has given help at BT in all the months I’ve been with them, quite frankly the customer service is appalling. I have decided to switch service providers as I’ve been offered a better service for almost half the price. I won’t be recommending BT services to anyone.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

As all ISPs use openreach line your conenction will be the same whichever ISP your choose just name on DD is different

what about results from dslchecker showing your estimated speed range. This will apply regardless of ISP

0 Ratings