My Halo2 contract came to an end last December and I renewed to a Halo 3 contract. The setup I have been using and that has been working very well for me for a couple of years is a 3rd Party Mesh router connected to a BT Openreach VDSL modem.
However - since upgrading to Halo3 (still FTTC - not full fibre) although my download speeds are perfect (instantly 61Mb/s), my upload speeds always start very slowly when testing (around 120 Kb/s) before ramping up toward the end of the test to a more respectable speed (usually ending up with an overall speed of aroun 8-10Mb/s). Along with this there is variable packet loss - usually anywhere between 2 and 15%.
Latency and jitter are not overly concerning - typically around 15ms and 40-50ms respectively.
If I plug in my BT Smart hub I get perfect download and upload speeds and 0% packet loss - even if I continue to use my Mesh system in bridge mode attached to the smart hub.
Unfortunately this is not a viable solution because I have so many devices on my home network (35+) the smart hub seems unable to cope and devices randomly lose internet access - one of the reasons I moved to the mesh system in the first place - that and the thickness of the stone walls in our Victorian Pile.
Is there any reason why moving from Halo2 to Halo3 would have this effect ?
I'm considering purchasing a new , better quality (than the BT Smart Hub) VDSL Modem/router - but worried it might not fix the issue
Solved! Go to Solution.
I ended up purchasing a Billion Bipac 8800nl R2 modem/router which has resolved my issue.
"Billion 8800NL R2 Wireless VDSL/ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections and Fibre"
I've used Billion before to great effect when I was ADSL so I already knew they were quality kit :
|Link Power State||L0|
|Line Coding (Trellis)||On||On|
|SNR Margin (dB)||6.6||16.1|
|Output Power (dBm)||12.4||-5.9|
|Attainable Rate (Kbps)||70655||24962|
|B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame)||158||237|
|M (# of Mux Data Frames in an RS codeword)||1||1|
|T (# of Mux Data Frames in an OH sub-frame)||0||42|
|R (# of redundancy bytes in the RS codeword)||8||16|
|S (# of data symbols over which the RS code word spans)||0.0754||0.3781|
|L (# of bits transmitted in each data symbol)||17724||5374|
|D (interleaver depth)||16||1|
|I (interleaver block size in bytes)||167||127|
|N (RS codeword size)||167||254|
|INP (DMT symbol)||49.00||0.00|
|OH Frame Errors||136||326|
|RS Correctable Errors||126995||44935|
|RS Uncorrectable Errors||0||0|
Still using my Tenda Mesh for WiFi in bridged mode - but with the Billion router providing everything else. Nice because it has a decent DHCP server, DNS proxy and allows local static DNS entries so I can split-brain my Nginx virtual appliance for nextcloud etc. and avoid tromboning that traffic.
Line Syncs at 66999/19999 and speedtest now reporting nicely and consistently:
Speedtest by Ookla
Server: SWS Broadband - Shrewsbury (id = 41923)
Latency: 13.68 ms (0.20 ms jitter)
Download: 50.28 Mbps (data used: 64.4 MB )
Upload: 16.65 Mbps (data used: 8.7 MB )
Packet Loss: 0.0%
speeds are under reporting because there's at least 1 TV streaming netflix ATM - plus I have an online game running and all the other random stuff going on - but as you can see latency, jitter and packet loss are all.
I don't know why this suddenly became a problem - but I can see one or two others complaining of packet loss and jitter issues since around the same time as I did.
Anyway - problem solved for me - if it helps you then great