cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Upload speed

Have had a solid FTTC connection, giving 64Mbps download, 18Mbps upload.  Smart Hub 2.

Last few days upload had plummeted to 0.5Mbps, download speed normal. This using the ethernet connection to my PC  When testing wireless devices (tablet, phone etc) both speeds are fine.

Have rebooted Smart Hub, tried three alternative ethernet cables, no joy.  Does this mean another new SmartHub ? (I am already on my second, due to similar problem !)

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Upload speed

have you tried a factory reset of hub by pressing the recessed button on back and holding 20/30 secs until lights flash and see if that clears it.  remember turn off smart setup after restart

have you tried just changing ethernet ports on hub?  it could also be a problem with your Ethernet connection in your pc

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Tried everything, thanks. Eventually phoned BT and a replacement hub is on its way.

I think it is an issue with that model...

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

@wilkofife wrote:

I think it is an issue with that model...

Don't think it is the SH2 as mine works just fine. Could be your specific hub has a problem but not general to model

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Did you try the other Ethernet ports on the hub and were they all the same ?...if you have already had a replacement hub for the same problem , and anecdotally there doesn’t seem much internet chatter about this being a particular issue with the hub , perhaps whatever you have connected to the Ethernet port is defective in some way and damaging the hubs Ethernet port, or port controller, and over time causing it to fail.

If that is the case you could end up in the same position in the future, if the device continues to be connected, admittedly this could be difficult to prove , and you may just have been unlucky and had two routers with the same weak spot, and  as you are already getting a new hub you may as well use it, but  I would suggest if the new one does the same at some future point , it’s unlikely that it’s the hub simply failing and something else causing the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

I understand precisely what you are saying, and obviously I am not technically qualified to find the reason myself, but try to eliminate as many factors as possible.

Yes I have tried all the ports, plus a selection of different ethernet cables. The connection ( a 1m cable) is into the LAN port of an ASUS motherboard (I assemble my own PC's). The LED status light shows green, i.e. 1 Gbps connection. As I have stated, the download speeds are very satisfactory and totally consistent.

I have also looked on various forums, and agree it doesn't seem to be a common issue, but BT have not quibbled at my request for a replacement, which, let's face it, is a much cheaper option than sending an engineer !

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

What would you expect an engineer to do? He is only responsible for the connection to the NTE. They don't carry replacement hubs and he wouldn't touch your PC.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Which is why I didn't want one.  Anyway, having exhumed  my old HomeHub 5, the same problem manifests itself, therefore the PC is at fault. Reinstalled drivers, checked BIOS, etc etc., but have now ordered a PC LAN card to see if that will work.

The replacement SmartHub can then hopefully be returned with my thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Personally I would hang onto the new hub , rather than returning it, as it may be useful to have a ‘spare’ for future use.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

I finally got to the root of the problem, having spent a LOT of time on various forums, this one came up trumps.

Disabled the two settings as described here, and it worked an absolute treat.

Upload speed restored, and access to other sites much, much quicker now.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/very-slow-upload-speed-on-wir...

0 Ratings