Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arranhs
Beginner
Message 1 of 27

Uploading Causing Connection Drop

Hi,

I am having a problem that, currently, uploading large files causes my internet to drop out, and the hub light to go orange. The internet does eventually reconnect again but then it continues to randomly drop out till the upload is finished. This makes the internet unusable while uploading any files.

I’ve been having this problem now for around 3 months and have rung BT several times to try and resolve it and a technician has also been sent to my house. None of these helped my problem. The technician was stumped and gave me a new router in an attempt to fix it, but this didn’t help. Honestly this problem is driving me nuts and it seemed no one knew how to fix it.

However, I then came across these 3 posts on this forum (OneTwoThree) all of which were having the same problem as me, but were manged to be helped by a moderator on the forum. I was hoping I could get the same solution that these people did to fix their internet. I have the exact same hub and router as these posts (BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2) and interestingly these posts were made at around the same time as my internet started playing up. It has been fine for several years up until this point.

I have also noted that my router logs shows "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [PPPoE PADT received]" when the internet disconnects, as also noted by the poster in my third link (here).

I have done all the usual things to try and fix the problem like turning the router off and on again and resetting it. Naturally I have done all this as I have been in contact with BT for several months now to try and fix this.

I hope you can help me like you helped resolve the issue with the other posters in my given links.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 27

Re: Uploading Causing Connection Drop

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Is it any better as regards discons?

Post your full Router Stats when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Message 3 of 27

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The router is already plugged into the hidden test socket. The BT technician did this when he came round to try and solve the problem with no avail. It hasnt helped disconnections at all. I have no extension sockets.

Did the BT quiet line test. There was no noise at all.

Here is my full Router Stats:

1. Product name: BT Home Hub

2. Serial number: +068543+NQ52331839
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 21:48:38
6. Data rate: 1153 / 22061
7. Maximum data rate: 1153 / 22996
8. Noise margin: 5.6 / 4.0
9. Line attenuation: 13.2 / 33.6
10. Signal attenuation: 13.2 / 28.3
11. Data sent/received: 6.6 GB / 10.6 GB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-2X5F
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: 1
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-2X5F
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall: Default
23. MAC Address: a0:1b:29:43:79:6e
24. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant: AA
26. Boot loader: 1.0.0

Again, tahnks for your help and I look forward to your reply.

Many Thanks
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 27

Your connection looks fine & if there's no noise on the QLT I can't account for the discons.

Are you sure it is the BB dropping & not just the WiFi?

Beginner
Message 5 of 27

I agree, it is confusing why the problem is happening as everything looks fine. This is exactly what the technician said, even though he experienced a drop while he was here. He couldnt explain it.

Also, it is definitely the BB dropping not the wifi, as when it drops, all devices, including those that are using ethernet, lose internet. Also, as I say, this is my second router since the problem started, so it's unlikely this is a problem with the router and therefore wifi.

Im interseted to see that in the the forum posts I linked to however, they all seemed to be remedied by configuration changes to the router. Do you know what these changes may be?

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 27

No idea! Router settings are fairly standard. I could maybe understand changing settings at the BT end.

Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 27

Reduce the upload rate so it does not overload the input buffer of the home hub.

What program are you using to upload the files?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 27

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Reduce the upload rate so it does not overload the input buffer of the home hub.

What program are you using to upload the files?

Or just get a third party router.

arranhs
Beginner
Message 9 of 27

Its any program to upload at all. Google Drive, Dropbox, Chrome etc. I doesnt matter what is doing the uploading it always kills my internet.

As for a third party router. I have already bought one and have tried it. It still dies. It was a TP-Link TD-W9970. Also bought and tried a more expensive one, (£70) but that also didnt help either so i returned it.

Keith_Beddoe, are you suggesting that the "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [PPPoE PADT received]" message in my log that happens when my router dies is indicative of a input buffer overload? That doesnt seem to be what the error message is saying, but maybe im incorrect.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 27

Were you using wireless or Ethernet connection?

Does it only happen with the one device (computer).

0 Ratings