cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 27

Re: Uploading Causing Connection Drop

It might not be relevant in this case but some people on another forum found that having iCloud and iPhoto running on their connection caused drop outs when uploading anything to anywhere. Once the turned iCloud and iPhoto off the disconnections stopped.

0 Ratings
aidanhs
Beginner
Message 22 of 27

(not OP, but I've been working with him to try and get this fixed)

Some additional notes:

1. To try and isolate the cause we disabled WiFi on the router and connected a single computer via ethernet. We then enabled crashplan (online backup service) on that computer (previously disabled everywhere, because of the connection dropping issue). After about two minutes, the connection died.
  2. It's very easy to reliably reproduce the issue. Enable crashplan or google photos, wait for about two minutes, internet dies (these are just the two services I happen to have done tests on for repeatability).
  3. We're not sure of the first date it happened - the last three months is when it's been happening enough to have a serious effect on internet usage. It was likely happening before that, but we probably shrugged it off as "bad internet".
  4. As far as I can remember, nothing of substance has changed on our side since the beginning of this year - our router is the same (well, was - one engineer replaced it in trying to fix this issue), crashplan has been running since at least the beginning of 2016 and our BT plan hasn't changed.
  5. We wanted to get *some* backups continued, so I rate limited google photos backup to 100KB/s and enabled it on one machine. The internet did not die. Lifting the limit reliably kills the internet (per point 2).

One side question from me: a BT wholesale speed test measured ~20Mbps down and ~1Mbps up (reflected in the "Maximum data rate" of the router stats). Is this a reasonable upload speed? (it seemed a little low to me, but I don't know anything about expected speeds of infinity)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 27

@aidanhs wrote:

One side question from me: a BT wholesale speed test measured ~20Mbps down and ~1Mbps up (reflected in the "Maximum data rate" of the router stats). Is this a reasonable upload speed? (it seemed a little low to me, but I don't know anything about expected speeds of infinity)

The upload and download seem slow for BT Infinity. The upload speed is very poor, which could be the cause of the problem. The actual upload cannection speed is only 1153Kbs, not much better than ADSL2+.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
aidanhs
Beginner
Message 24 of 27

Just wanted to give an update on this thread that the "connection drop on upload" issue seems to be resolved - a helpful BT engineer (thanks Stuart/Stewart!) got in touch and applied a configuration change - the same thing that seems to have been done in the previous cases linked in the original post.

There are still a few issues with dropping out now and again (it'll die for an hour or so) that we're still working on, but these seem to be more random and not caused by backups (which are now all running again).

If anyone else sees the same thing with upload-caused drop outs, I encourage them to post on these forums - maybe the mysterious configuration change will help them too!

0 Ratings
SteveSykes
Beginner
Message 25 of 27

I have a similar issue, the Internet crashes when I upload larger files. I have fibre to premises and now on my 2nd BT hub and this has not fixed the problem. I've seen this problem in another BT forum page fixed by buying third party router. I have had months of hassle and don't really want to throw money at the problem that seems to be a BT router issue. What configuration fixed this please?
0 Ratings
aidanhs
Beginner
Message 26 of 27

@SteveSykesthis is not a setting you can apply yourself I believe. In our case (and apparently the previous cases, linked from the first post of this thread), it was someone at BT changing some setting on their end (i.e. nobody came on premises to fiddle with anything). Unfortunately we didn't get any details about what this setting is, so I would say your best bet is to create a new thread and link the four previous cases (three linked in the first post and this one) and see if that moves things in the right direction.

As a workaround, capping upload speed to about half the peak rate seemed to reliably keep our internet alive.

Edit: I should also say that we tried (in addition to two BT hubs) two additional different third party routers, and nothing helped.

0 Ratings
SteveSykes
Beginner
Message 27 of 27

Ok thanks. I'll set up a new thread soon. I've restricted my upload speed when possible to stop this problem but this is not a long term solution.
0 Ratings