Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulmu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Uploading causes drop # 2

Go to solution

Hi, I also have the same hub & software (BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2) and am getting the very same issue when I am uploading larger files like videos.  The connection drops, hub light goes orange, then it reconnects but drop-outs continue randomly until the upload finishes.

Could someone from BT post the settings here that we should change to fix this please?  Or if you can't do that, how can I get the details to apply to my hub please?

Thanks

Paul.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES
Message 2 of 15

Re: Uploading causes drop # 2

Go to solution

Hi @paulmu and welcome.

I've moved your post so we can offer some help with this. Are there any other symptoms that could be causing the drops like noisy line etc?

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDavidM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
paulmu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks David.

No, I think everything else is fine.  Downloading large files has never presented a problem and general usage for browsing, streaming and so on always seems fine.  It's only been fairly recently when I've been uploading large video files (250-300MB) to YouTube / Vimeo that I've noticed it drops out pretty much every time.  I Googled it and it led me here!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Paul.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Have you conducted a quiet line test? 17070 option 2 there should be silence between the announcements.

0 Ratings
paulmu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

No, wasn't aware of that test so just tried it now, and yes, there is silence between the lady saying "Quiet line test".

Thanks

Paul.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Are you using a wireless or wired connection?

A wireless connection is likely to give problems, as the incoming buffer on the home hub is likely to overflow if there are any wireless re-transmissions.  A buffer overflow would cause the connection to drop.

If you must use wireless, then you need to restrict the upload speed on your application. You may even need to do that on an Ethernet connection as well.

A better quality router may help, as it may have a larger buffer.

0 Ratings
paulmu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for your response.  I'm using a wired connection.

Not sure I can restrict the upload speed when I'm just uploading video to YouTube or Vimeo using their websites?

I was hoping the solution would be the magical "settings tweak" that the OP mentioned in the thread linked from the top of this one - does someone know what that involved please?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Does it drop out when you run the BT Wholesale Performance Tester?  What upload speed does it show you are getting?

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
paulmu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Just now I'm only getting 9.76Mbps download and 4.41Mbps upload.  That's only about a quarter of my normal download speed, maybe a busy time of day.  I'll try again a bit later this evening and post that result too.  Not sure what upload speed would normally be but I'd expect download to be in mid to high 30s.

And no, no dropout using that, but it would often get 20% or more into a 200-300MB file upload before it would drop.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

I would say you may have an issue with your line, if the speed does not improve. That could be causing the dropouts.

0 Ratings