cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

Uploading causing internet to become un-usable

Hi,

Hoping someing can help me. I recently changed from another provider to bt, actually a few months ago now. I have been having problems with the internet dropping randomly but the lights on the modem not changing.

I have called bt several times and all they do is run a speed test or line test and dont find anything and said it was a problem on my end after sending me a new smart hub.

Following what they said I checked my whole home network over and found no problems, i thought maybe it was an issue an engineer needed to fix but recently i made a discovery about what is causing the problem, basically as soon as someone on my network uploads something (even a picture to facebook) the download speeds stop, i mean I cant even open the page to run a speed test when an upload is taking place. when a upload is not happening my download is fine. I find this strange because on fibreop or even broadband upload and download should be seperate and is controlled by a buffer in the router. I ran a in depth speed test and learned the buffer-bloat is exceptionally bad, so i contacted bt again and all they did was run another line test and ignored what i was saying.....

Hopefully someone here has experienced the same problem and can offer a solution.

I would also like to add that having experienced this problem for a couple of months i even decided to get a second line into my house and have a new provider, the problem does not happen with their router and the speeds are not as good as what i am getting with the bt smart hub on fibre. Also proving there is nothing in my home network causing the problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Uploading causing internet to become un-usable

Third party router?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: Uploading causing internet to become un-usable

The home hub has no facility to control individual users, so if one person is using all or most of the upload bandwidth, then it will affect other users.

Downloading also requires some upload bandwidth to acknowledge correct receipt of data. If upload is restricted, then that will affect download speed.

The only option is to use a different router which has individual usage and priority controls.

0 Ratings