Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
wyeeye
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Uploading consistently leads to connection drops

Go to solution

I am trying to upload large files to Google Drive (file size generally ranges between 500mb and 900mb), but every time I try that - and usually once the upload gets to about one quarter of the way there - the BT Hub light goes orange and the connection drops, interrupting the upload completely. If I leave the upload going it'll try again, but still the connection will drop and the upload will ultimately be cancelled.

Downloading is totally fine, no complaints there, so the problem of the connection dropping is exclusive to uploading.

I tried turning the BT Hub off and on again - but that didn't work.

I contacted BT's helpline last week and we did a power cycle of the white box on the wall (the engineer on the phone said something about "stale connection" as a possibility) - but, again, this didn't solve the problem.

The engineer had a new BT Hub sent to us, which arrived last week Thursday. I installed it and used all the new cables supplied and it actually worked - but only for a day.

On Thursday, the day that I installed the new BT Hub, I was able to upload more than 10gb of data, with no problems at all, to Google Drive as intended (either as individual uploads one after another, or a batch of files in one go) across two different stints at different times of the day. However, the following day - Friday - when I tried to upload more files I encountered the same old connection drop problem (orange light on the BT Hub) yet again.

I've tried uploading at different times of the day, power cycling the BT Hub etc etc etc - anything I can do on my end, basically - but none of it works. Then I read various threads here on the BT Community forum (such as this one: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Uploading-causing-connection-drop/td-p/1766295 ) - and it appears to be a problem a lot of people have had, but which seems to be solved by someone on BT's end applying some kind of settings fix to make uploads work properly.

Please help, this is very frustrating!

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Uploading consistently leads to connection drops

Go to solution

I've asked a mod to drop in to see if they can help.

Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @wyeeye

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community.

Sorry to see you're having broadband problems when uploading those large files.  Could you send us over your details so that we can look into this for you from here?

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @wyeeye I called earlier sorry I could not reach you.

I wanted to check some information on the Smart hub that you are currently using. Please can you post your hub stats for your Smart hub. You can get your connection stats by, Opening a new web browser on your connected device and type 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home into the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.  Click Advanced Settings’ and then ‘Technical log’

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
wyeeye
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Hi, sorry I missed the call. Here's the info from the Technical Log/Information page:

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084318+NQ81506085

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:

12-Jul-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

WAN:

PPP Connected

Data sent / received:

24872 MB Uploaded / 107560 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-J3P2

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-J3P2

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

AC:3B:77:DE:CC:19

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @wyeeye Thanks for posting that and I'll raise a case to get this upload issue sorted for you with the product team.

Cheers
John

Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @wyeeye Please can you check again if the problem is persisting as the product team have updated some setting on the hub and this should hopefully resolve this issue. Post back and let me know how you get on.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
wyeeye
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

It only worked very briefly.

I went back to Google Drive to upload the files I've been trying to upload for some time now. In this case: a batch of five video files, totalling 3gb. I successfully uploaded the first of the batch as a single file upload (total size 552mb). The upload took about 7 minutes as expected and the connection was maintained throughout...

However, when I tried to upload the remaining four of the batch as a stacked upload (total size 2.46gb) the same old problem with the connection drop and the orange light happened, as usual, about 1/4 of the way through the first of the files. The connection did the same thing - drops out for a few seconds (consistent orange light), then resumes (consistent blue light), then drops out again for a few more seconds before going blue again, at which point the upload is cancelled and I have to close then re-open the browser so that any site at all can be loaded.

I then tried just uploading the second (of five) files - as a single upload (596mb) - but yet again the same connection drop routine occurred.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @wyeeye Thanks for checking that and getting back to me. I'll update the hub team and get them to have a look at this again.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @wyeeye The team have tweaked the setting again. Sorry to ask but can you test again and let me know if this has improved the upload.

Cheers
John