Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sps1013
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

Using 3rd party router with HH5

Hi all,

Quick question please on the configuration.

Currently have an OR HG612 into my Apple Airport Time Capsule. This then feeds a further Airport Extreme to give excellent whole house wifi and connectivity.

My modem is failing and I have a HH5 sat doing nothing and I am wondering if I can use the HH5 in place of the HG612 and keep the system "as is"? Now I know the HH5 is not the best setup but I am seriously considering BT TV so will need this for multicast.

Can I therefore do the following:

HH5 into master socket.

Disable wifi on the HH

Connect the Apple Time Capsule to a LAN on the HH5

Disable router mode on the Time Capsule

Connect any future UHD Youview box by ethernet into a further LAN port on the HH5?

Or...

Just enable IGMP snooping on the Apple products and save all of this?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Using 3rd party router with HH5

Wouldn't the best bet be just to replace the modem?  Thereby keeping everything as it is.   You can likely find an OR modem on eBay or even better buy a new one.  As far as I can tell there are only two makes of modem on the market.

Netgear DM200, this can be configured as modem only, it has built in DHCP and routing capability.  A bit limited, routing wise, though still having only one LAN port.

DrayTek Vigor 130, a pure modem only, works just like the OR modem.  No setup issues, I use one, just take it out the box, connect DSL lead and power and off you go.

The rest of your kit should work as it does at the moment without any changes.

0 Ratings
sps1013
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Yes it would but I can't use the modem and apple products with BT TV hence the need for the home hub.
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 4 of 5

You could check this and see if it's relevant:-

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7466473?start=0&tstart=0

And here:-

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7367126?start=0&tstart=0

Don't use any Apple kit so can't say for sure.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 5

What makes you think your modem is failing? If it is dropping connection then that could be due to a line problem and not the modem itself.

If the modem is unlocked and you can access the stats please post the connectiob stats. Otherwise it would be helpful to connect the HH5 purely to get the line stats.

Also try a quiet line test on 17070 option 2, the line should be silent.

0 Ratings