cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 26

Using BT Fibre FTTP with UniFi Security Gateway (USG) 3P (without BT Smart Hub)

Go to solution

Hi guys,

I'm currently with the ISP IDNet for Fibre-To-The-Premise (FTTP) and am shortly moving to BT Fibre FTTP, specifically Full Fibre 300. 

Currently I connect the Enternet port from the white BT Openreach device, to the WAN port of the USG model 3P and then have configured a PPPoE username and password in the WAN network in my Unifi management console (see screen shot below).

Can I use BT Fibre 3000 without the supplied BT Smart Hub?

Is it simply a case of using my BT username and password in place of the current IDNet one?

Where do I find my BT PPoE username and password?

I'm hoping it is as simple as that, but would appreciate guidance on the questions.

[1] My current setup with IDNET

USG Setup.JPG

Here is my BT Openreach Box, connected the USG WAN port via an Ethernet cable.

IMG_3154 (1024x629).jpg

Thank you in advance,

BentleyBoy 181

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: Using BT Fibre FTTP with UniFi Security Gateway (USG) 3P (without BT Smart Hub)

Go to solution

@BentleyBoy181 wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm currently with the ISP IDNet for Fibre-To-The-Premise (FTTP) and am shortly moving to BT Fibre FTTP, specifically Full Fibre 300. 

Currently I connect the Enternet port from the white BT Openreach device, to the WAN port of the USG model 3P and then have configured a PPPoE username and password in the WAN network in my Unifi management console (see screen shot below).

Can I use BT Fibre 3000 without the supplied BT Smart Hub?

Yes

Is it simply a case of using my BT username and password in place of the current IDNet one?

Yes

Where do I find my BT PPoE username and password?

It is generic. username is bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT

I'm hoping it is as simple as that, but would appreciate guidance on the questions.

[1] My current setup with IDNET

Here is my BT Openreach Box, connected the USG WAN port via an Ethernet cable.

Thank you in advance,

BentleyBoy 181

Message 3 of 26

Re: Using BT Fibre FTTP with UniFi Security Gateway (USG) 3P (without BT Smart Hub)

Go to solution
Thank you licquorice. I had done some research and thought it would probably be OK, but last thing I wanted to happen was to get BT switched on and find I was searching around to get it working 🙂

Looks like the username and password are generic for all customers but I guess that is OK as it will only work to provide a connection via an FTTP connection for a specific device/line.

I'm enabled on Monday so hopefully all with be smooth enablement.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

Yes, PPPoE authentication is against the individual line rather than username and password.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution
I have the same setup as in your picture. Didnt know it was called BT Openreach Box.

I plugged in the Ubiquiti USG and set up the PPoE with username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
and password BT

But I cant seem to get onto the internet with this. Is there something obvious that I am missing?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

@roslionIt's not called an BT Openreach box. It's an Openreach ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

@roslion it should work. You’ve probably already done all of this and therefore it won’t help but I’d 

1. Swap back to the BT Smarthub (if you received the FTTP one) to make sure you’re getting the service.

2. Power cycle the ONT by powering it down for at least 5mins.

3. Connect the cable from the active port on the ONT to the WAN port of the USG

4. Use the common user name bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password (If required, but can be anything) BT In the USG setup with a PPPOE connection.

5. If it’s still not working I’d power cycle the USG.

6. Connect a computer to a lan port on the USG and retest

7. If you don’t have a smarthub you can try connecting a PC directly to the ont and setting up a new pppoe connection.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution
thank you...

and on a good note, after doing the same thing about 8 times (factory reset and entering the ppoe username + pw it finally worked all of a sudden... no idea why but glad it did...

I also have a ubiquiti switch which seems to work but cant be adopted.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

Good to hear it’s sorted 👍 I cannot wait to my UDM back in place.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

Anyone know what the options are for doing this if BT are also moving the telephone line to Digital Voice? My understanding is the BT Smart Hub serves as the VoIP ATA in that scenario.... 😞

0 Ratings