cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GlynH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Using DrayTek Vigor 2820Vn instead of Home Hub 3?

Hi there,

BT Infinity being installed in a couple of days time...can't wait Smiley Happy

I have searched and it seems like I can use my existing DrayTek Vigor 2820Vn using an Ethernet cable from the BT vDSL modem directly to the WAN2 port on the 2820. I also understand that all I need to do is enable WAN2 and use bthomehub@btbroadband.com as the username. The password can be blank apparently.

To confuse the issue a little I wish to leave my existing O2 connection as WAN1 and was hoping to setup the 2820 to use the BT Infinity as the main Internet connection but continue to use O2 side of things...mainly for existing apps etc. that use my O2 IP Address for connections.

Is this even possible?

Anything else I might need to know about using my 2820 with BT Infinity from others who might already have trodden this path would be much appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES
ianm42
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Using DrayTek Vigor 2820Vn instead of Home Hub 3?

Yes this is what we have at work. Draytek 2820 ethernet port to Infinity modem and ADSL port on another phone line to another ISP that provides our E-mail. Works fine.

We added some load balancing rules in the Draytek so that e-mail coming in (POP3) and going out (SMTP) goes via the ADSL connection as won't work via Infinity connection.

Been using since February like this.

0 Ratings
GlynH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Thanks for the reply Ian...great stuff...

Would it be possible for you to share some of the configs that you have setup to enable the 2820 to work with BT Infinity in addition to your existing ISP and also some of the load-balancing or other rules you may have configured - obviously leaving out any specific/secure info in the process?

If you would prefer not to post these publicly then maybe pm or email might be a better option or if this is not practical/possible then maybe just some hints/tips/resources that you might have come across that could save me some pain please?Smiley Happy

Are you happy with the performance of the 2820 & BT Infinity as I see you appear to be using a 2750 instead (or as well as) the 2820?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
0 Ratings
ianm42
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 19

I use a 2820 with ADSL and Infinity at work and a 2750 VDSL router at home.

Its easy to setup the 2820.

Just enter you two ISP account names in WAN -> General setup.

I filled in the figures for the line speeds and set line balance mode to "According to line speed" as opposed to auto.

For WAN1 ADSL access I have.WAN1.jpg

For WAN2 I have similar

WAN2.jpg

For load balancing I just have the IP address of our ISP SMTP server to force routing via ADSL.

Bal.jpg

GlynH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Thanks for the detailed reply Ian,

Well my install went well on Friday and the 2820 saw the BT vDSL modem via the Ethernet cable on WAN2 and reported 'Connected' and returned an IP Address, Default Gateway & Primary DNS.

The problem I have now is to prioritise traffic to WAN2 instead of WAN1 as most of the time, no matter which PC I use it seems to connect via WAN1.

I did have my Load-Balance mode set to 'Auto Negotiation' but WAN1 was dominant so I tried your suggestion of setting it to 'According to Line Speed' but I am not sure what figures to input in the relevant boxes to 'force' use of WAN2 over WAN1

It seems that WAN1 is still the dominant connection Smiley Sad

I was hoping there would be an easy way to make WAN2 the default...I don't see this using the Web interface so maybe there might be a Telnet CLI command to achieve this?

The DrayTek manual seems very poor on explaining these particular settings...a few examples either in their manual or on their website would have been helpful...

Can I ask what you have your download/upload speed set to please and why you chose those particular numbers?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
0 Ratings
ianm42
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 19

Been away for a while, just seen your reply.

I put in these values

Vigor.jpg

The values are the line theoretical max ADSL and Infinity line speeds. Appears to balance between the two line quite well between users.

0 Ratings
pgudge
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

5 Months old I know, sorry for digging up the past Smiley Happy

GlynH, you can force the default connection to WAN2 on the Vigor2820 via CLI using the following command

ip route default wan2

All traffic will now go via WAN2 unless you tell it otherwise via Load Balancing Policy's.

HTH

PaulG.

0 Ratings
FlamingDeath
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

The homehub3 sucks donkey **bleep**

Though im not surprised!

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
SteveHale
Beginner
Message 9 of 19

Hi All

I realise that this post is quite old but I too have just had Infinity installed.  The BT modem is in and I can run from their Ethernet port into WAN2 on my Vigor 2820Vpn mode/router.

However does anyone know what user name and PW has to be entered into the ISP Access Setup fields?

If the modem itself is logging in to the BT account do these field need leaving blank or do they ahve to be populated with the same data as the modem user name and log in??

Cheers

Steve B

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 10 of 19

Read the first post Steve Smiley Wink

0 Ratings