Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
saltwafers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 29

Using HOMEPLUGS / POWERLINE adaptors in BT ULTRAFAST FIBRE

So my ULTRAFAST 2 (300 Mbps download) fibre broadband was installed yesterday, replacing an efficient INFINITY 2 (76 Mbps) system…

I have been using Homeplugs and Powerline Adaptors (of various brands BT, Devolo, TPLink, Netgear, Solwise) for many years at home. However, the OpenReach engineer installer advised that I should not use these with the Ultrafast Smart Router as the performance will be adversely affected, specifically that the speed will go down massively.

He said he already had a number of Ultrafast customers having these issues. He even mentioned a recent customer whose download speed went down to 5 Mbps because he used these adaptors in his Ultrafast configuration at home… I asked for a technical explanation but all he said was ‘these new Ultrafast routers are completely different compared to the older BT Smarthubs’.

I have been happily using using Homeplugs / Powerline adaptors for many years, even during pre-Infinity years. They never badly affected my broadband speeds. Even with Infinity 2, my broadband speed was consistently 70/20 at the main socket. The OpenReach engineer advised me not to use these; that I should use WiFi instead, telling me that the Ultrafast router’s WiFi performance is excellent.

In fairness, I was showed that WiFi was good in most parts of my home, at par with the HomeHub 6.. . But I still favour the use of Homeplugs especially in desktops upstairs and in the loft, - as long as they don’t affect Ultrafast speeds.

Can anyone please enlighten me about…. DO HOMEPLUGS / POWERLINE ADAPTORS DO REALLY DEGRADE THE PERFORMANCE OF BT ULTRAFAST BROADBAND, and thus should not be used?

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 29

Re: Using HOMEPLUGS / POWERLINE adaptors in BT ULTRAFAST FIBRE

What make/ manufacture/ type are the homeplugs?

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 29

just connect them up and see

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 29

Homeplugs do cause RF interference and can affect routers, but as @imjolly says, try it and see what the effect is.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 29

saltwafers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 29

I have Solwise atm.

0 Ratings
saltwafers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 29

I only use 'wired' powerline adapters, not the WiFi versions...

Would these still cause interference? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 29

@saltwafers wrote:

I only use 'wired' powerline adapters, not the WiFi versions...

Would these still cause interference? 

The wired ones work the same way. if you read my explanation on my website.

0 Ratings
bellerby
Contributor
Message 9 of 29

As you have Ultrafast (FTTP) then I would be surprised if the adaptors caused the same problems as VDSL 2 (FTTC) as the frequency clash is between the powerline outputs and the VDSL2 frequencies delivered over copper.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 29

They would not affect FTTP.

0 Ratings