cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NoSirItWasntMe
Contributor
Message 11 of 29

Re: Using HOMEPLUGS / POWERLINE adaptors in BT ULTRAFAST FIBRE

@Keith_Beddoe Didn’t the OP say he had ultrafast 2 installed. I thought this was a g.fast product not FTTP ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 29

as I said before the only real way to find out if they work is connect and see  if they affect your connection speed then look for alternatives - but try them first

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 29

@NoSirItWasntMe wrote:
@Keith_Beddoe Didn’t the OP say he had ultrafast 2 installed. I thought this was a g.fast product not FTTP ?

It is both.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
saltwafers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 29

I have continued to use the powerline adaptors but mainly because i don't have (yet) any alternative as none of our desktops at home (which i assembled) have WiFi adapters / dongles. I experienced dropouts during the first 3-4 days but it has been fine ever since.

Broadband speed has been playing between 100-250 Mbps which may be fine, but very inconsistent and has yet to realize the 300 Mbps which i am paying for. I can not ascertain if the homeplugs are causing any issues on the Ultrafast router because I haven't checked performance without them.

What I'm confused about is that the Openreach Engineer was certain that the homeplugs / powerline adaptors are fine to use with the Infinity smarthub routers, but NOT with the ULTRAFAST router !!!!...

In fact some of the of the answers here claim that it should be the other way around, i.e., the G.fast FTTP setup should not be affected.

Any more ideas / explanations please ?

0 Ratings
NoSirItWasntMe
Contributor
Message 15 of 29

@saltwafers  As @Keith_Beddoe said Ultrafast2 can be delivered either by FTTP or g.fast , both are described as fibre broadband by BT.

Which one do you actually have?

0 Ratings
saltwafers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 29

I have g.fast
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 29

Which is delivered by copper and thus susceptible to interference, whereas FTTP is completely fibre and therefore totally immune to interference.

0 Ratings
saltwafers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 29

But that doesn't explain what the Openreach engineer said... which is that " homeplugs / powerline adapters do not affect Inifinity routers, but affect Ultrafast (g.fast) fibre ".

0 Ratings
NoSirItWasntMe
Contributor
Message 19 of 29

@saltwafers if you have half an hour read from page 5 of this from Australia in 2015 

https://www.acma.gov.au/-/media/Technical-Regulation-Development/Issue-for-comment/PLT-consultation/...

saltwafers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 29

Thanks. You meant question 5 though, right?

I had a good chat with a knowledgeable guy from BT ultrafast repair team a while ago, and i was told that the powerlines would not have any adverse affect on the G.fast bandwidth data track coming from DSLAM, (if there is poor electrical wiring in the property, the powerline / homeplugs will not be effective). 

0 Ratings