cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 29

Re: Using HOMEPLUGS / POWERLINE adaptors in BT ULTRAFAST FIBRE

'If there is poor electrical wiring in the property, the powerline / homeplugs will not be effective' that applies to all broadband though

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 22 of 29

@saltwafers wrote:
I had a good chat with a knowledgeable guy from BT ultrafast repair team a while ago, and i was told that the powerlines would not have any adverse affect on the G.fast bandwidth data track coming from DSLAM, (if there is poor electrical wiring in the property, the powerline / homeplugs will not be effective). 

Of course they wouldn't have any affect on speed from the DSLAM, that much is obvious. IIRC there was a thread recently where TP-Link powerline adaptors caused problems with the hub. I'm sure @Keith_Beddoe has something about it on his site. Unfortunately I don't have access but I think he would post a link for you.

Ultimately the best form of connection is via ethernet cable which can be up to 100mtrs in length with no loss of speed.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 29

Link as requested.

Interference to broadband caused by powerline adapters or broadband extenders

@pippincp I forgot you were with another provider. If you have a static IP address, I could add it as an exception to my webserver. Not really practical otherwise, as certain ISPs have individual customers who misbehave, and I do not have enough bandwidth to spare.

NoSirItWasntMe
Contributor
Message 24 of 29

@saltwafers No I really did mean from page 5 labelled Technical Discussion by Roz Dickson. This explains over a couple of pages why interference could result especially if you are using older models of powerline products that were not necessarily designed to be used with g.fast.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
saltwafers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 29

@NoSirItWasntMe Are there any powerline products then that are suitable or have been designed for g.fast ?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 29

G.fast frequencies start at 17Mbs upward, and some Powerline adapters can go up to 30Mbs. It possible the fix for the TP-Link ones described on my web page, would stop those frequencies being used, as it seems to restrict the frequency range to below 17Mbs.

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 29

I have talked BT engineering before, and the chipset used in some Powerlines don't work with the newer chipsets used in the latest HUBs and Whole Home products. you would have to check the type of chipset used, for example the COMTREND ( Black) Powerline don't work if used on the same network as BT's Whole Home Wi-Fi.
I am no expert but this information was correct when I tried using my old Powerline devices.
0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 29

I don’t have any experience on G.Fast as I don’t do it but do a lot of FTTP.

I’ve come across quite a few people who use Home Plugs that worked fine with ADSL/VDSL but don’t seem to work well with FTTP. 

Don’t know if it’s the Smart Hub or Plugs, couldn’t say as we’re not paid to fault beyond our demarcation point, which is the ONT.

0 Ratings
Gilbertcat
Beginner
Message 29 of 29

As my Develo homeplugs are not working properly with newly installed FTTP and BT Smarthub, has anyone experience using Develo Magic 2 kit with FTTP and Smarthub?

0 Ratings