cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Using a TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 with my smart hub 2

Hi, I recently bought a TP link archer C7 AC1750 to try and overcome some of the horrendous bufferbloat through the BT smart hub 2. When testing here I consistently receive an F for bufferbloat and a Quality score of F or D. On the recommendation of a friend I had intended to install this new router with OpenWrt and FQ-CoDel. However I cannot get the router to work with my BT internet. I had naively assumed it would simply be plug and play (I am very much a novice here), but I cannot get a connection that way. 

I have also tried disabling the wifi radios on the hub and linking the two, also to no avail. Do I simply need to buy a BT modem, or is there a more elegant solution? Will the modem actually work? I've also tried following a number of methods on this forum including this one .

Although detailed I found the above guide extremely hard to follow (I am lost in the sea of acronyms for a start), I am also missing some of the sections he edits.  Any help is hugely appreciated. The constant ping spikes caused by this are driving me mad and I thought I may finally have come to a solution with this new router, but it is currently sitting idle.  

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Using a TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 with my smart hub 2

You would've been better advised to get something like this and do away with the hub. TP-LINK Archer VR2100 WiFi Modem Router - AC 2100

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

That is two times the price of the router I bought and not particularly helpful in hindsight. Do i need a modem as well? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Yes you need a separate modem and forget hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 12

Thank you! Is there a specific make or model I need? Are the openreach ones on ebay correct? Will I need to do any further setup once i do have one, or will it be plug and play? 

thanks again 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Get an Huawei HG612, don't pay extra for an unlocked one, it isn't needed. It will be just plug and play.

I'm assuming you have standard VDSL broadband and not G.Fast. If you have G.Fast your options are very limited.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Perfect, i'll grab one of those, fingers crossed this fixes some of my other issues/. 

thank you

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

The TP Link is not quite plug and play, you will need to enter the generic PPPoE  username and password  of bthomehub@btbroadband.com  and BT when prompted by the setup wizard.

Message 9 of 12

I've already flashed the router with OpenWrt, but I'm sure there is similar functionality within their UI. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

You will certainly need to enter the PPPoE credentials, you may also have to enter the VLAN id which is 101.