Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

Using modem with HH5

Hi

BT sent us HH5 about two years ago but we've carried on using HH2 as had absolutely no problem with that. This is connected via modem to mastersocket. Unfortunately we've been experiencing some drop out with HH2 in last few days (blue BB light still on router but clearly not connected as unable to surf with main, wired in pc and all devices in house). Connection is restored with reset of HH2.

I have HH5 gathering dust and am thinking of introducing it as loyal HH2 may be giving up. I have read many horror stories on here re HH5 and HH6 so want to mitigate as much as possible.

• Am I right in thinking that I can continue to use in conjunction with my old faithful modem?
  • Either way should I also expect a long breaking in period with many disconnections, poor speed while HH5 "stabilises".

Thanks for your time.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Using modem with HH5

@Longshanks wrote:

Hi

• Am I right in thinking that I can continue to use in conjunction with my old faithful modem?
  • Absolutely, just connect to the WAN port.
  • Either way should I also expect a long breaking in period with many disconnections, poor speed while HH5 "stabilises".
  • No, it will sync and remain stable if all else is ok.

Thanks for your time.

0 Ratings
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

Thanks. When you say if all else ok... All else has been ok for many years with HH2 so no reason new gizmo should be any different??
0 Ratings
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

Bit worried that HH5 experience will be appalling judging by comments here.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 13

The comments here are mostly those using the hub as an all in one unit those are mostly solved by fronting it with a modem as you intend.
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

No issues with my hub 5. Why not try it on its own before using it with the modem?
0 Ratings
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

Thanks for further replies. One final question if I may. If I try HH5 without and it's predicable erratic, should I be able to connect to modem with no complications??

(Also seems like a no brainier to use modem so can't figure out why so many try HH on its own?)

Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Yes.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

it has its own inbuilt VDSL modem built in and was designed as a self install device when Infinity became self install service also saves on using multiple power sockets
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

the Openreach modem is no longer provided
0 Ratings