Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
den1
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Using separate password for each frequency

Go to solution

Hi

Just got fibre at home and want to separate the two  frequency bands and apply separate passwords to each. Is this possible as my attempts so far seem to allow onlky the same password. Any help appreciated./

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Using separate password for each frequency

Go to solution

Hubs only allow the one joint password

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
den1
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks for the reply - unfortunately that is really annoying as I have been able to do this with previous modems. I wanted to keep one frequency secure for guests. Maybe the smart hub is not so smart!!
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Get yourself a proper router with a guest network.

Not sure of the value of having different passwords for the 2 bands for guest purposes. They will still be accessing your LAN.

0 Ratings
den1
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

!! According to BT there's is the best and most powerful out there !!

Do you have any recommendations?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I don't see that working as not everyone will be able to access the 5ghz and all will be able to access the 2.4ghz and as @licquorice said both networks access you lan so not suitable for separate guest use

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Only you know your requirements. If you want a cheap and cheerful single band router the TP Link TD-W9970 is about £35.  For something a bit more sophisticated and dual band have a look at the TP Link VR600/900 and Billion routers. Cost is usually proportional to wifi speed.

0 Ratings
den1
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks guys

0 Ratings