cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hystrix
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

VDSL Broadband is 15% SLOWER than ADSL

My Broadband is now around 15% slower since recently changing from ADSL to VDSL. My speed has gone from 6.8mbps to 5.6mbps.

Is there anything that can be done to improve the speed?

For instance, my Smart Hub is about 10m from my master socket (with one join in the cable), due to the design of my house. If I reduce this distance, will I see a speed increase? If so, will it be immediate, or will it take some days?

I am using Comtrend Powerline Adaptors. Do these interfere with the speed?

As I'm now working from home due to Coronavirus issues, I could really do with a faster internet connection, and I'm a bit miffed that my speed went down when "upgrading" to Superfast Broadband. Should be called Superslow.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
MikeM14
Contributor
Message 2 of 18

Re: VDSL Broadband is 15% SLOWER than ADSL

Hi hystrix,

I am in no way a technical expert, but thought it might be worth sharing my own experience.

My master socket is downstairs in the hall, and most of my internet use is upstairs in my "study" (I don't use wireless at all, but my computer is connected to the hub by Ethernet cable).

When I switched to "fibre" about 3 months ago, I carried on with my old set-up comprising "phone extension cable" 10m long from the master socket to upstairs, where I had my ADSL filter, and thence a short cable to my landline 'phone and a short ADSL cable to my Hub. My speed on fibre was disappointing.

As an experiment, I bought an ADSL extension cable, again 10m long (I think it was about £9-99, from Argos). I moved the ADSL filter downstairs to plug straight into the master socket, and then had 2 cables going upstairs: 10m 'phone cable going to the telephone, and 10m ADSL cable going to the Hub.

My speed basically doubled. For £9-99 it might be worth a try?

Sorry if you're already using a continuous ADSL extension cable, and forgive me "butting in".

Mike.

0 Ratings
hystrix
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply. My set-up is using a filter plug directly into the Master socket, with an ADSL extension cable. However, there is one join in the ADSL cable, so it's not ideal, so I might move my hub so I can avoid the join.

When you did the change, how quickly did you notice the speed increase?

Many thanks,

Hystrix

0 Ratings
brookheather
Expert
Message 4 of 18

How long since you switched to VDSL - post your router stats - your speed may improve slightly if you have a stable line and the SNR may drop from 6dB down to 3dB - this can take some days.

Try and have a single short cable connecting the router.  Home plugs can cause interference with VDSL if power lines run close to the copper cable - try disconnecting them and see if the speed improves.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number   https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

I would try moving hub nearer master socket and use good quality modem RJ11 cable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
hystrix
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Here are my relevant stats from my router:

Product name,BT Smart Hub 2
Fireware version,v0.17.01.12301-BT (Mon Dec 30 19:16:29 2019)
Board version,R01
GUI version,1.56 15_02_2019
DSL uptime,22 days 12 Hours 31 Mins 15 Secs
Data rate,1.1 Mbps / 6.1 Mbps
Maximum Data rate,1.1 Mbps / 6.5 Mbps
Noise margin,6.5/6.4
Line attenuation,14.9/32.9
Signal attenuation,14.9/36.8
VLAN id,101
Upstream error control,Off
Downstream error control,Off

0 Ratings
MikeM14
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Hi again hystrix,

Unfortunately I don't have records of exactly when everything happened, but it was on 4 Jan 2020 when I bought the ADSL 10m cable and reconfigured my wiring. I did both a "BT Wholesale" speed test, and a "BT Help" speed test, within less than one hour of switching back on with the new wiring arrangement, and both immediately showed the new, higher speed. Incidentally, the new higher speed was now within an acceptable range and above the minimum guarantee speed, where the speed-test results on the old wiring configuration were only about half as good. The most-recent speed-test results on the "old" wiring arrangement were done on 2 Jan 2020.

Unfortunately, of course, I don't know whether the speed just crept up anyway between 2 Jan and 4 Jan, or whether they step-changed up directly as a result of my new wiring, but I'm probably about 90% certain it was the latter.

I don't know what effect having a join in the cable would have, but maybe someone on this forum who is an expert can answer that. Certainly, intuitively, it would be a negative effect not a positive effect!

Regards,

Mike.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 18

Your set up sounds far from ideal , plus you don’t really know if the ‘speed’ you are being given is close to what you should expect getting poorer speed on VDSL than ADSL using the same set up is unusual, although there is a point ( distance from the cab) that ADSL is a better choice than VDSL/FTTC.

Even if only temporarily, for the duration of a ‘test’, you should plug your router/hub via a know good filter directly into the master socket test port ( you need to remove the bottom section of the NTE to reveal the test port ) , obviously this could mean providing a temporary power supply if there isn’t one close by...a wired test using an Ethernet cable is better than wireless , but basically if your router statistics are what you should expect here, and not so good using your set up, then it’s clear your home set up needs improvement, TBH, if a cable has some sort of dodgy taped joint in its length it needs to be replaced anyway

0 Ratings
RobbieBaron
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

You do have a long line to the cabinet & should be getting about 20 Meg sync speed rather than only 6 Meg.

What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

0 Ratings
hystrix
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

DSL Checker results:

Test.PNG

0 Ratings