cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HillHopper
Message 1 of 12

VDSL - Problems with network latency

Hi,

I have an ongoing problem with BT Infinity FTTC.

The issue is poor broadband speeds at peak times.

My router a Billion 8800NL is stable with a downspeed of approx 10meg and 6dB margin and upspeed 

I have perfomed router stats and trace routes over the past  few weeks and the problem is network latency between teh FTTC cabinet and BT's main backhaul.

I have rasied several fault reports over the past year or so, and a further two during the past month as the problem is getting worse, making the internet practially unusable at the weekend.

I find it difficult to get through the helpdesk to someone who actually understands the technical issues and doesn't ask me to reset the router or change the 5.8GHz SSID (even when I tell them I'm using Ethernet).

I have tried sending stat data but BT don't seem to undersand how to use it (or can't be bothered to even look).

My past two fault reports have been closed and shown as "fault fixed" when it hasn't. 

The only way to reopen them seems to be to create a new fault report and go through the whole process again from scratch.

As I'm sure many folks on here have suffered the same frustrations with BT, are there any suggestions as how to move this problem forward ?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: VDSL - Problems with network latency

How did you manage to pin down the problem to between the FTTC cab and backhaul?

Could you provide more info to show the problem? e.g. tracerts etc.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

post stats from your router

run btspeedtester diagnostic test and post results must be done with wired connection  http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

check for line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
HillHopper
Message 4 of 12

When the problem is present the latency is so bad that the BT speedtest will not function.

There is no line noise I have previously had Openreach engineers test the line and have had three engineer visits.

My router stats are solid and I have very few errored seconds.

The router is not the problem
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

are you using wired or wireless connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Probaby too many users sharing the same backhaul link. BT Wholesale may be aware of capacity issues.

If you can specify which exchange your cabinet is connected to, one of the moderators may be able to look to see if there are any congested virtual paths.

0 Ratings
HillHopper
Message 7 of 12

Pingplotter.png

Averaged over the past week - note the peaks in latency around midday.

Pingplotter graph.png

0 Ratings
HillHopper
Message 8 of 12

Wired as sated in my original post
0 Ratings
HillHopper
Message 9 of 12

Martock.png

0 Ratings