Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrl200
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

VDSL change of speed

Just after some thoughts, so here goes:

Aprill, new inifinity 2 - almost 80Mb connection (probably 1st or almost first connection on it) at master socket, moved hub and phone via cat5e lost 5Mb. Still happy with that.

early Oct still got 75Mb on the phone!!

end Oct dropped down to 50Mbish

think neighbours got upgraded.

reported to BT in Dec.

1st engineer - faceplate changed and line check

2nd engineer - line check again, ground pit checks & cabinet check, line reset. Still 54Mb said line should only do 60ish

BT minimum speed is 68Mb!

3rd Engineer missed appointment - got fixed at 5:30 in the morning so a whole day off work - self employed!! Not funny!! Especially when I phoned up at midday to check the fault had been changed and not expecting an engineer out.

4th engineer today, (wasnt at home for this one) line can only do 62Mb as its reading a 280m line length. So why are BT selling me something I cannot acheive (miss selling) and why do their minimum speeds say 68Mb for my line this is now 67Mb changed over night! Also he said cabinets really only put out 75Mb.

So why have I seen 79.98Mb at my house?

If line length had anything to do with it why would my upload speed still be 20Mb? line sync is currently:

up 22259 / down 58826

Oh one other thing the bthub likees talking with the cabinet on its tr69 and causes it to reset, am I better of not using a BT hub and seeing if the line becomes more stable?

So just wondering if anyone else has had this?

Cheers

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: VDSL change of speed

@mrl200 wrote:

Just after some thoughts, so here goes:

Aprill, new inifinity 2 - almost 80Mb connection (probably 1st or almost first connection on it) at master socket, moved hub and phone via cat5e lost 5Mb. Still happy with that.

early Oct still got 75Mb on the phone!!

end Oct dropped down to 50Mbish

think neighbours got upgraded.

reported to BT in Dec.

1st engineer - faceplate changed and line check

2nd engineer - line check again, ground pit checks & cabinet check, line reset. Still 54Mb said line should only do 60ish

BT minimum speed is 68Mb!

3rd Engineer missed appointment - got fixed at 5:30 in the morning so a whole day off work - self employed!! Not funny!! Especially when I phoned up at midday to check the fault had been changed and not expecting an engineer out.

4th engineer today, (wasnt at home for this one) line can only do 62Mb as its reading a 280m line length. So why are BT selling me something I cannot acheive (miss selling) and why do their minimum speeds say 68Mb for my line this is now 67Mb changed over night! Also he said cabinets really only put out 75Mb.

There are 2 speed caps for VDSL products, up to 55M and up to 80M, you are receiving gretaer than 55M. Engineer was talking complete tosh, if you were right next to the cabinet it would be possible to receive over 100M if the speed wasn't artificially capped at 80M.

So why have I seen 79.98Mb at my house?

If line length had anything to do with it why would my upload speed still be 20Mb? line sync is currently:

up 22259 / down 58826

I doubt your line is syncing at 22M as the upload is capped at 20M, that might be the max data rate. Please post screenshot of your hub stats. Upload and download speeds operate at different frequencies and are affected differently.

Oh one other thing the bthub likees talking with the cabinet on its tr69 and causes it to reset, am I better of not using a BT hub and seeing if the line becomes more stable?

Possibly

So just wondering if anyone else has had this?

Cheers

It is possible your speed reduction is purely down to crosstalk as more customers have taken up service on your cabinet.

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

Remember 1Mb = 1024Kb so absolute max connection speed is 79999Kb or 78.12Mb - you would never see more than this on VDSL.

My line length is 215m and I just get 79997 with 6dB SNR so for a 280m line I would expect a lower sync rate.  You may well be experiencing reduced sync rates due to more neighbours taking up VDSL or those previously on 40/10 being upgraded to 80/20 causing more crosstalk.  Your line estimates will change over time to reflect your line conditions so if your line sync rate drops for a period of time this will also drop the minimum line rate at the some point.

Are you on a Huawei cabinet?  If so it may drop your SNRM to 3dB which would give you a higher sync rate though if your connection is not stable below 6dB it won't drop down.

I did improve my sync rate by changing from a HH5 to a Vigor 130 modem so you may get a few extra Mbps with a different modem/router.

0 Ratings
mrl200
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Hi

Yes max data rate, intereting ot hear of speed caps.

Only annnoying thing is I cannot find a picture of when I had the almost 80Mb!

Im thinking about the uptake - do need to check with my neighbours to see when they and if they changed. 

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ74264020

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:

10-Apr-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 4 Hours 53 Minutes 53 Seconds

Data rate:

20.00 Mbps / 58.01 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

22259 / 58826

Noise margin:

7.3 dB / 6.4 dB

Line attenuation:

11.3 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

0 Ratings
mrl200
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

It looks like a normal green BT firbre cabinet.

Whilst speed is not to much of an issue im paying for something im not getting but I did have it!

Also the cabinet keeps dropping and reconnecting the hub. On its TR69 tasks.

I think it is crosstalk!

Wholesale stats.

VDSL Range A (Clean)8074201967.7Available---- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)8072.5201965.5Available---- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 14.5--12.5 to 16Available--Yes 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 14.5Up to 1.512.5 to 16Available--Yes 
ADSL MaxUp to 2--1 to 3Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available--Yes 
Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps)58.4     
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps)19.99     
Observed Date2018-12-20     
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapN      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date08-01-2019
0 Ratings
Highlighted
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 12

You may want to insist on a "lift and shift" where they move you to a different port in the cabinet - not all ports are equal - some may suffer from less crosstalk.

0 Ratings
mrl200
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Thanks for the replies, I shall mention it to the complaints case worker when he phones tomorrow.
0 Ratings
mrl200
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Well the man at BT said a lift and shift is only available where there are multiple cabinets.

I now have some techincal person coming out tomorrow! If he says I cant have it I cant have it!

Interestingly when my speed disappeared is when my neighbours had their infinity turned on! I wonder if I lost my pair of cables - not that that hasnt ever happened before has it!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

See my last sentence in message 2.

0 Ratings
mrl200
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

yeap thats what im thinking, if I see one of neighbours sons I will ask what speed they get......

0 Ratings