cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

VDSL - slow and frequent disconnections

Hi, I've had broadband from BT for years now, and it's always been good. But from January this year I started to get 'VDSL Link Down' 20 to 50 times each day. I phoned this in to BT as a fault in late January. Since then I have had 7 engineers visit. They have all checked the connections in the house, performed a quite test (if that is the correct term) and concluded that the fault lies outside.

This is now 'case managed' by BT - although I'm not sure what that means because it hasn't actually made any difference. The last engineer was last Friday. The disconnects are still the same (ie, many) but now my speed, when I am connected, is very low (16Mbps down, 200kbps up). It's practically unsuable.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. Talking to BT doesn't help, and I get the strong impression that they don't really care.

[I have a BT Hub 6. And it's FTTC]

Help.

Simon.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: VDSL - slow and frequent disconnections

questions you probably have been asked before but to get some idea of connection can you post stats  advanced settings then technical log information

enter phone number and post results  delete number but leave exchange and cab  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

if you try quiet line test is there any noise   dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Thank you for such a quick reply! I have done the Quiet Line Test - and it sounded completely silent to me.

20200406_TechInfo.JPG20200406_TechLog_p1.JPG20200406_TechLog_p2.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

as you say your speeds are terrible but interesting is the max attainable is just above actual and nowhere near expected range  have you tried using the test socket with a filter making sure there is no dial tone at any of your extension socket where in normal use or not

test socket behind master faceplate

test socket.jpgtest-socket-thumb.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

My Master Socket looks different from the one in the diagram. It says Openreach Mk4 on the front, and Master Socket 5C on the top. I don't see any screws that I can undo.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Just unclip the front part, and the test socket is behind.

Test like this.

NTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket check

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Thank you Keith. I have set it up as requested, and reconnected. This is the stats now - upload is improved a bit - to 800kbps.20200406_TechLog_p3.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

yes but your attainable is more in keeping with estimated range suggesting a problem with your master socket and/or your extension wiring

Beginner
Message 9 of 13

OK, that's interesting. I don't have any extensions - this is the only socket, and was tested by several of the engineers who came out.

Would that also explain the many VDSL disconnects that I get usually around 20 - 50 each day (and strangely they are mostly between 8:30am and 5pm! A few outliers).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

@SimonKn 

If you do not have any extensions connected to the extension block. then is most likely just a poor connection between the front faceplate, and the test socket. This is a very common issue.

Probably being disturbed by vibration as people walk by.

You can continue to use the test socket to prove whether that was the issue.