cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

VPN Speed Throttling / Traffic Shaping on FTTP

Go to solution

Morning,

I recently signed up for 900meg BT FTTP and have found the speeds for normal traffic to be great so far. I am using the same router that I used previously on my FTTC connection so I know the device itself supports high vpn throughput, however I am only able to achieve around 40meg throughput when on VPN.

BTW Speedtest without VPN is north of 600meg, with VPN is 40meg.

I fully understand that BT are within their rights to shape traffic on the network, however this is a major issue for me as I regularly need to use VPNs as part of my work from home job to connect to client sites and transfer large files. Is it possible to remove the VPN speed cap on my account only?

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: VPN Speed Throttling / Traffic Shaping on FTTP

Go to solution

There is no VPN speed cap. Try using different encryption in your VPN app.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Hello - I'm almost certain there is as there's many other posts about it on the forum.

I'm using a standard AES-256 encryption on a dedicated PFsense firewall which is capable of 350+ meg OpenVPN throughput, and on my old FTTC connection I was able to max the 80meg line out with ease, so I am 100% certain it's not a hardware problem.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Can anyone from BT comment?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

See link and sub-links which is from BT.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/bt-s-approach-to-broadband-traffic-management

It may be worth having a read through this link

How to Increase VPN Connection Speeds in 2021 (5 easy methods) (allthingssecured.com)

and others that you may find with an Internet search.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Nobody from BT can comment as this is a customer to customer help forum. There are some mods on here that are BT employees but they generally don't get involved in these kinds of questions because it's been answered many times before and the answer is available within the search function. But, basically BT Retail do not throttle or employ traffic shaping on VPN's, P2P, online gaming etc etc 

Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@NigelB72  Neither do Openreach (added because it's been alledged elsewhere).

Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@pippincp thought that would be the case but didn't want to speak for Openreach 😆

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @tomcottonuk,

Thank you for posting. What @NigelB72;, @pippincp and @gg30340 have said on the thread is correct. 

There more information here about BT's approach to broadband traffic management 

Thanks,

Paddy