Did you mean: 
Highlighted
efelstead
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Very bad line noise on analogue phone since BT Infinity 2 installed

Go to solution

Hi everyone

I will do my best to explain my problem which can be complicated.

First I have TWO cables coming from my TERMINAL block on the OUTSIDE of my house.

One cable goes to the MASTER SOCKET on the ground floor and the second goes round the house

on the outside and then up to enter the upstairs study where it terminates at a STANDARD SOCKET.

Recently the MASTER socket was modified by Openreach (contractor) to acommodate installation of BT Infinity 2.

There is a CORDLESS phone attached to the MASTER SOCKET which works perfectly and is VERY QUIET.

Upstairs there is an CORDED phone attached to the STANDARD socket which is VERY,VERY noisy although working.

I have a MICROFILTER attached to the upstairs phone but the OPENREACH engineer removed the filter from the MASTER SOCKET.

I have tried the STANDARD socket without the filter but makes no difference to the noise.

Any comments or suggestions as to a solution to the noise problem most welcome

Regards

Edward

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Very bad line noise on analogue phone since BT Infinity 2 installed

Go to solution
sounds like a bad install you need to get an engineer back to resolve that problem
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Your connection is star-wired which will impact your Infininty. The installer should have disconnected the upstairs socket and maybe removed the terminal block too.

I suggest you report a poor install and request an engineer who knows what he's doing to rectify the mistake.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

that's star wired and needs to be fixed before infinity will be at best  need upstairs extension wired to master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
efelstead
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you all for your most useful comments.

Could you explain what "Star Wired " means please as I am not well versed in telephony.

Also how could I use the "outside" wiring to upstairs to provide for a corded phone upstairs?

Is there some way of running an extension from the "Master socket" to upstairs using the existing outside wiring?

Thank you

Regards

Edward

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
Star wiring means the extensions are all wired in parallel from the same point. These days the extension sockets should be daisy-chained together in series, with the Infinity connection to the master socket which should be the first socket on the line.

A fully trained telecoms engineer would be able to wire the extension socket from the master using the existing external wiring and extending it to the faceplate filter.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

In the interim, try fitting a new filter in the upstairs socket.

0 Ratings
efelstead
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks again for your help however I have confession to make!

I have just been outside to check the wiring again and I have given some "duff" information.

What I found was as follows -

There is ONE wire coming from the BT Terminal block which disappears through the wall presumably to connect

to the master socket inside.

Coming OUT from the SAME hole in the wall is the wire which then proceeds round and up the wall

to the socket upstairs.

So it looks like the upstairs extension is in fact wired from the MASTER socket.

However I cannot determine if the connections for the downstairs phone/BT Hub and the upstairs Standard socket

are wired in parallel or series.

The fact remains though that the noise level on the upstairs socket is very bad compared with the downstairs socket which is quite quiet.

Could it be a problem with the STANDARD TERMINAL SOCKET upstairs or maybe even the HANDSET?

Thank you

Edward

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Does you master socket look like this?

Infinity Master Socket

If so, the upstairs socket should be connected to the back of the lower faceplate and if you remove the screws you should be able to see the connections.

If not, then that may be the problem.

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
efelstead
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi "ray"

Well yes the outer plate looks like your picture but in total it appears I have THREE plates all sandwiched together.

There are THREE plates as follows -

(1) The original master socket

(2) A plate in the middle of the "sandwich" - I think this was known as an iplate?

(3) The outer plate as fitted by the Openreach contractor.The BT hub is connected to one input and the base for

my cordless phone is connected to the other.

The Openreach contractor was only with me for about 10 mins max!!.

Once he fitted the outer plate he connected the hub,waited for it to boot and once the "blue" light indicated a connection he left.

He never checked the phone lines etc etc .Just left me to sort the rest for myself.

Regards

Edward

0 Ratings