cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pedrotski
Message 1 of 4

Very slow infinity broadband

Hi there,

Firstly, I am advising a friend of mine as he is quite intimidated by computers, though I myself am no expert.

He has BT infinity broadband and has recently had a drop in speed to 0.29 mb/sec download, 0.69 mb/sec upload.  Calling the helpline has only been an exercise in frustration.  A tech visit found corrosion at the connections on the nearest telephone pole.  Repairing this has cut down the background noise on the 'phone line but not improved the broadband speed.

I have tried a new filter (there is only one 'phone jack in the house), a new cable to the modem and connecting my own laptop directly to the hub with my own cat 5 cable.  None of which has made any difference to the connection speed.  The only thing I can see that is left is the hub itself but I have no way of testing this.

Calling the help desk only results in having to go through the same checks again and again.

My friend has become so frustrated he has now ordered infinity 2 in the hope that a new installation will solve his problems!

Is there something I have missed which is likely to help solve his problem?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Very slow infinity broadband

Does he have a Homehub5 ?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Tell him to cancel the Infinity 2 order. If there is an underlying fault with the line etc it will still be there with Infinity 2. All he will have is more expense for the same problem.

You say that the previous visit "cut down " the noise on the phone. There should be no noise at all. He probably still has a fault on the line and he should call BT and complain that the fault is still there.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 4

Why would your friend think that an upgrade to Infinity 2 would involve a new install?It's merely an IP Profile change which is done remotely.

He may find he now already has that option and is tied into a new contract.

0 Ratings