Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jayveer
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Very slow speeds on Infinity 2 (8mb/s)

Hello

Firstly my speed had been around 40mb/s for years using an ethernet plugged into a powerline then to my pc. I posted a thread not too long ago about how my internet had been constantly dropping out for around 2 weeks. Eventually an Engineer came round and fixed it by replacing the modem, during that time my dlm had gone fairly low.

When the broadband was fixed it appeared I was getting around 30mb/s not the best but I thought this would improve over time, what happened was quite the opposite, it was just getting lower and lower through the course of the day, until it eventually went to 8mb/s and didnt budge from there.

I decided to wait a day to begin with thinking it may correct itself, but it didn't it was still consistently around 8mb/s. I tried using my computer which as I mentioned before is connected to the router via homeplugs, and also tried with several wireless devices whilst sitting right next to the router, all of them showed around 8mb/s for download (using the site 'speedtest').

I used the btwholesale speedtest site and that actually showed that my hub was getting 41.1mb/s but it did show my upload speed was low and therefore said they would be in contact with me around that, and they did, they told me to wait 2 days to see if it improved. I waited two days and surprisingly my upload actually got better 11b/s and my ping got a bit lower as well, but my download was still at 8mb/s.

I phoned to tell them this and that my download was still slow so they tried to do a speed check from their end and told me my hub is receiving around 40mb/s so there's not really anything they can do for me. Using the btwholesale site now I can see it's showing a poor download speed for me.

I'm not really sure where to go from here, BT think my net is fine, I'm only getting 8mb/s whereas in the past before all the problems I consistently had 40mb/s I'm not sure if it's anything to do with dlm, nothing was mentioned about it by the engineer when he fixed my initial problem and I'm not sure if the same problem would be seen when the check on my hub was done from BT's end.

I'm kind of at a loss of what to do at this point, so would appreciate any advice, Thanks.

A summary as I wrote quite a bit;

- Had a problem with internet constantly dropping, down more than it was up, which was fixed by an engineer

- Since the problem I've only been getting 8mb/s although I used to get 40mb/s for years

- have been told by BT they're seeing 40mb/s going to my hub when they run checks from their end so nothing they can do

btproblem.png

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Very slow speeds on Infinity 2 (8mb/s)

Post the stats from your hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Jayveer
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Hello imjolly, sorry I forgot to mention that I only have a homehub 4 which, as far as I know,doesn't divulge any stats, but if that's not the case would it be possible to know how I can?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Are you using a modem which you mentioned in previous posts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Jayveer
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

So the engineer that came removed a faulty one and replaced it with a newer openreach modem, he also changed the socket to a 'mastersocket 5c mk4' as well as swapped my home hub 3 to home hub 4. That was everything that was done to fix my previous problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

All the stats are in the modem which I don't presume is unlocked

Jayveer
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

That's correct, I haven't unlocked it, I could if it would help although I'm worried if that would void any sort of warranty or anything.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

So it is likely that, due to all the dropping connection problems and resets as engineer was fixing the modem problem, you may well have ended up in a banded profile but without any stats it is difficult to tell

Jayveer
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

That's what I was worried about, do you think its worth me rebooting the modem? I hadn't done so before because I was afraid it would mark that as a fault and therefore my dlm would get even worse, but at this point I feel like it's the only thing I haven't tried.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

If it is a banded profile resetting the modem won't help