cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Very slow upload speed

Hi.

I have BT Infinity. I am using my own modem/router, & when I first started using this, it gave me an immediate 10% increase in download & upload speeds.

I am getting download speeds of about 15Mbps. Uploads speeds are only about 0.5Mbps. These were both measured with an ethernet connection directly to the router when nobody else was using the internet in my house.

I can't remember what upload speeds I was getting last time I checked about a year ago (when I first switched to my own modem/router), but download speeds were more like 30Mbps.

I have seen some similar posts here regarding slow upload speeds & the problem was attributed to the built-in asymmetry of ADSL, or to the distance from the exchange. However the house directly across the road from me has a BT business package & is getting downloads of 38Mbps download and 14Mbps upload. Another house close to me is with Vodafone and is getting 32Mbps down and 16Mbps up.

My primary problem is with that upload speed, because it makes using Google hangouts, Zoom & Slack nightmarish for remote working.

I'd also like to know why my download speed is half of what it was a year ago, but that is less of a concern.

Can anybody advise?

Thanks,

Lance

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Very slow upload speed

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the connection stats from your router

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 8

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

Quiet line test - it was pretty quiet. I could hear a very small amount of whitish noise. Is it meant to be completely dead?

Connection stats (I think this is what you want):

Stats.png

Broadbandchecker: 

Untitled.jpeg

Regards,

Lance

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Any noise on your line? 17070 option 2, best with corded phone. You may get a dull hum with cordless.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

The quiet line test should be silent and any noise is a problem

its not just your up speed that is terrible your down speed is very poor as well

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 8

I think the download speed is due to the distance from the exchange. It was massively improved about 18 months ago - everybody in my area used to get about 6 Mbps down. Then it increased to 30 Mbps, but now seems to have dropped back to 15 Mbps.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

your down speed should be nearer attainable speed of 34mb which is still bottom of your expected range according to the dslchecker results

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your conenction speed up and down

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@lancewaltonwrote:

I think the download speed is due to the distance from the exchange. It was massively improved about 18 months ago - everybody in my area used to get about 6 Mbps down. Then it increased to 30 Mbps, but now seems to have dropped back to 15 Mbps.

Distance to the exchange is immaterial, with FTTC it is distance to the cabinet.

0 Ratings