cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Voip & FTTP

Go to solution

I have just moved to BT with a full Fibre FTTP service using a Smarthub2.  I have a VOIP subscription with Sipgate Basic that I would like to continue to use.  With my previous ISP, this simply used a DECT phone plugged directly into my router & a change of SIP settings.  Is it possible to do this with my new setup as I still have some pre-paid credit & also want to keep my old number.  Answers need to be kept simple please as I am not an expert!   Thanks.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Voip & FTTP

Go to solution

Just use your old router instead of the SH2.

You will need to enter the generic PPPoE username of bthomehub@btbroadband.com ans password BT

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Sorry if I seem dim on this but will my old router need resetting in some way?   Will it be pre-set to my old ISP?  Also, my old service was a "wireless" one which used a dish & was transmitted in the same way as a phone signal.  Will it make a difference that I am now on a fibre service?   (See, I told you it had to be kept simple!)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

It depends if it was an ISP supplied router or third party. What make and model of router is it?

If it is not locked to an ISP, simply factory reset it to remove all previous settings and connect its WAN port to the ONT LAN port instead of the SH2. Just run the auto setup wizard on the router if it has one and enter the details previously posted when it prompts for them.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for the help.  The old router is a Cambium Systems C3Voip-200P.  It was supplied by the ISP but I don't know if it is locked.  But I'll try and reset it & we'll see what happens.   In your earlier post, you mentioned a password.  Is that the one for the new Homehub or something else?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

No, the username and password are the PPPoE credentials required to connect to the BT BRAS.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Sorry to be a bit dim but I understand your previous post about the user name but you've lost me at the password bit.  Where would I find this please?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

When you configure the router it should ask you to enter the PPPoE username and password. If you have entered the username was there not also a box to enter the password?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

I haven't configured the router yet.  It came to me preset from my old ISP.  I hadn't considered the possibility of using the old router until you suggested it & haven't yet had time to do anything.  I am asking about the password following your first reply to this post which was

"Just use your old router instead of the SH2.

You will need to enter the generic PPPoE username of bthomehub@btbroadband.com ans password BT"

So while the instruction about the username was clear, I am confused about the password part.  Hope this clears up any misunderstanding & thanks again for keeping with me.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Sorry, I realise now why you might be confused, there is a typo. It should read

"You will need to enter the generic PPPoE username of bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT"

not ans (answer)

0 Ratings