cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

WAN Cable length

Hi,

does anyone know What the maximum length of the WAN cable (red) Can be the goes between the White fibre box (FTTP) and the Hub6 Router?

I want to move my router upstairs and thought the easiest way would be to extend the WAN cable but when I tried this, I got a flashing purple light on the router which means the router isn’t connected to the internet (the internet was fine). The only info I can find is that this cable should be cat5E or better. 

unless anyone has a better idea of how to move the router?

Thanks,

Kev

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: WAN Cable length

An Ethernet cable will work without problem up to 100 meters.

You could use powerline adaptors. Connect one into the white modem and the other one into the WAN port on the hub. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Hi gg30340,

Thanks for the info. I was aware of that, so was surprised to be having issues. I should have added the cable length I was testing with, is only 7-8 meters (just running upstairs) but doesn’t seem to work. I just wondered if there was a particular issue with extending the supplied cable from the fibre router, but as you say, Ethernet cables should be good for 100M. 
thanks again though for the quick reply and power line suggestion. 

kev

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Are you sure it is not a faulty cable? Try connecting the hub up normally then plug a device into the hub using the Ethernet cable to check it does work OK.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Hi gg30340,

Excellent idea! Why didn’t I think of that?

ill give that a go this week. 

thanks again. 
kev

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Is it a cable you’ve bought or is it one you’ve made up yourself?

If it’s the latter you have wired it up correctly haven’t you?

From the left it should be;

White/Orange

Orange

White/Green

Blue

White/Blue

Green

White/Brown

Brown

You should also test it with a Continuity Tester. You can pick up basic cheap works that work fine for Less than a tenner.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Hi Starwire,

yes it is one I’ve made myself, and I have tested it, and continuity appears to be fine. 
I will try another cable similar length to see what happens. 
thanks for answering though. 
kev

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

@Kevpen102  What have you tested it with? One of these is less than £10 form a well known auction site and tell you if it's wired correctly. I assume this is what @Starwire  was referring to.

tester.jpg

Message 9 of 14

Pretty sure that’s the one I’ve got. Not used it for a while as we seldom need to do Data Cabling. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Hi Starwire,

yes, that looks like the one I have. Just to check, it should be wired pin to pin, right (1-1, 2-2, etc...) and not as a cross-over cable.?

thanks,

kev

0 Ratings