Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jwc2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

WAN connection disconnections

Go to solution
Hi - I hope someone can relate to this and help. I signed up to BT as I left Virgin Media due to price hikes. I took up a good offer for BT Infinity 52mb DL. The first week was good, but the last couple of weeks have been terrible. My VPN keeps dropping for my work laptop and my sons PS4 sessions too which rarely happened on VM. I do have a combination of WiFi and power line connections but still, it was all stable on VM for past 6yrs.

Chatting with the online help team is frustrating and soul destroying to say the least, especially as I have to repeat the situation every time for them to come back and say they have no problem in the BT network as predicted..

What I have noticed though in the technical log is this error message which is in there constantly and tells me it’s an issue on the core side dropping my session:

WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]

Does anyone else have this problem on HH6 and what can I do to stop this as I’m thinking of cancelling and going back to VM. I think I would probably go to OFCOM as I’m clearly not getting the service I’m paying for at this rate.

Thanks

Jon.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: WAN connection disconnections

Go to solution

Scan you post stats from your hh6. Go to advanced settings then technical log information- not the log stats

are you using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps your connection by eliminating any internal wiring

try quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone

did you turn of smart setup?  Have you split the wireless networks as many devices do not like them combined

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jwc2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Hi - ok a few things ive already done, I have plugged into the test socket and left for a day or so with no change. BT also sent me a new filter too.  I havent dont the quit test yet as i have a cordless phone only so need to get one and try however, periodically I do hear a crackling with the cordless but that could be the phone itself that we never use.

I have also separated the the bands and now also turned off 5ghz too as my work laptop doesnt stay stable on that and 5ghz also confuses Sky Q it seems.

I will get a fresh log of the router later but basically I dont like seeing this:

08:58:24 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
05:20:56 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
03:55:54 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
03:15:37 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
02:21:52 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
02:18:25 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
01:50:11 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
01:35:18 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
01:04:18 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
00:37:10 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
00:32:28 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
00:31:41 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
00:22:27 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
00:22:08 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
00:19:44 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
00:18:45 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
00:16:26 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
00:07:48 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
00:05:26 19 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
23:49:21 18 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
23:41:32 18 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
23:40:34 18 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
23:34:09 18 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
22:46:26 18 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
22:07:35 18 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
20:04:50 18 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
20:02:36 18 Feb. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
Can you post the connection stats as requested.
0 Ratings
jwc2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

ok are you after this info:

Product nameHomeHub6
Serial number1747089135
Fireware versionv0.09.05.11160-BT (Mon Nov 20 10:43:21 2017)
Board version1
DSL uptime0 days 1 Hours 6 Mins 24 Secs
Data rate6Mbps/35Mbps
Maximum Data rate13 Mbps/53 Mbps
Noise margin136/83
Line attenuation263/176
Signal attenuation270/176
Broadband usernamebthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-FiActivated
2.4 GHz wireless network nameBTHub6-3H89
2.4 GHz wireless channelAutomatic (Smart Wireless)
5 GHz wireless network nameBTHub6-3H89-5
5 GHz wireless channelAutomatic (Smart Wireless)
WirelessSecurityWPA
Band steeringNo
Wireless securityMode 1
FirewallDefault
MAC addressEC:F4:51:98:AE:DC
Software variant-
Boot loader 0.1.6-BT (Fri Sep  9 10:05:09 2016)
0 Ratings
jwc2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

I have just noticed that the 5Ghz hadn't switched off and the smart setup which i have now disabled both.

Periodiacally when E walk past the router, i do notice its lights change colour as it if lost connection to the network.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Best get that corded phone ASAP as it looks like you have a line noise problem plus having one connected helps the line.

You should be getting around 50Mb/s but DLM has spotted an issue with the connection and has raised your noise margin seeking stabalisation. I think this is the first time I've seen noise margins that high compared to max data rate.

You need an engineer out so bite the bullet and ring CS on 151. Don't let them fob you off with refreshing or monitoring the line etc.

As you are connected to the test socket you have ruled out an internal problem (providing no extention has a dial tone).

0 Ratings
jwc2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

BTW those reading are:

Noise margin13.6/8.3
Line attenuation26.3/17.6
Signal attenuation27.0/17.6

by pasting this here it takes the decimal place out

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

That's better but your NM is still on the high side. Ideally you should be looking at 6.0dB and if G.INP is active 3.0dB.

0 Ratings
jwc2018
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

yes I agree, its still high.

What I have also noted is that, where the BT line comes from pole to my house it hits what looks like a jnc box on the wall, then a line goes to my loft and the other runs down the wall and into my hall.  It then runs into what looks like another white BT jnc box with BT on the front when it then runs under my wood flooring to the other side of the hall as there are no power sockets on the side that the jnc box is on. The previous owners must have had BT do this, but we never use the phone line up in the loft and there is nothing plugged into it.

What i can say is that all of this is still on the BT side of the phone box that my only phone and router is plugged into, so any issues on that side should be sorted by BT?

I have also just purchased a cheap BT corded phone and will try the noise test on that as yesterday, i tried it on the cordless and as i was running the test it dropped my router connection. It does seem intermittent though as sometimes i hear a crackle for a short while on the cordless, then other times it seems clear.

very frustrating to say the least but i think i need to get BT out regardless to check everything behind my phone socket onwards, and if necessary remove any jnc boxes etc?

0 Ratings