cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alan_mc
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

WBC SOGEA (single order generic ethernet access)

Hi,

Is there a schedule when broadband only lines will be made availabilty via BT.  I don't use my landline at all (use mobiles only around the home).

screenshot.jpg

I came across more info in this atricle, but nothing about bt offering it to customers.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/05/bt-wholesale-uk-broadband-checker-adds-sogea-fttc-avai...

Any time i click on broadband upgrades under MyBT, it just returns an error message saying "We're unable to show you any personalised offers at the moment. But why not check out our current offers for broadband, BT TV, landlines and BT Sport. Or you can call one of our advisors"

Searching under standard deals, nothing there either.  I'm just wondering if BT will be ofering this soon?

Also, could this effectively activate your extension sockets as Ethernet ports ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: WBC SOGEA (single order generic ethernet access)

How can they offer broadband without a line? Do they just majic it there? You do not pay separately for a landline, the price of broadband includes line rental.

0 Ratings
alan_mc
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

I get that, though maybe didnt word it correctly. I meant switch to a broadband only line, no voice
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 18

The voice line is thrown in as a freebie. You only pay if you make calls. Having a telephone to hand is a very good diagnostic tool as well.

A cheap £5 handset can potentially save you an £85 call out charge.

0 Ratings
j0hn83
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

It's still in the trial phase with Openreach.

Some people make the assumption that as their total broadband bill is £45 and £15 of that is line rental then SOGEA will cost £30.

The price difference between SOGEA and your current broadband+calls will be almost identical.

There will still technically be line rental, just no calls.

BT may choose not to offer SOGEA as a product at all though.

0 Ratings
alan_mc
Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Not looking for rate reduction, just wondering if the voice transmission removal would provide greater stability
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

If anything, probably less stability due to lack of wetting current.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
alan_mc
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Good to know, thanks
0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 18

They’ll be very little in price as you’ll still have a line from the Exchange to the NTE, which you’ll have to pay rental for.

Big concern is the line will have no dial tone or Battery/Earth Conditions.

I can see it now, an Engineer tapping out a joint for spares, think he/she has one going back to the MDF and taking it. They do have Service Detect Tests on their Hand Held Testers, well all except the new EXFO Max one but you can guarantee with the productivity pressures they’re under they’ll be in to much of a rush to concern themselves with it.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

@Starwire wrote:
They’ll be very little in price as you’ll still have a line from the Exchange to the NTE, which you’ll have to pay rental for.

Only for ADSL, it will be just the D side from the cab to NTE for VDSL, no E side required.

0 Ratings