cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

WIFI speeds

Go to solution

Hi all. We recently moved to a new property that has Fibre so we upgraded our BT account to get 300meg with a guarantee of 150meg minimum. Are those numbers achievable on WIFI and at a stable speed? I've done numerous tests online  and we still only get an average of 35meg download even if the upload is upto 50+ now. Unfortunately the router is under the stairs so a wired connection appears out of the question. If I cant get the promised speeds on WiFi then there's no point paying for Fibre. Hopefully someone can help. 

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: WIFI speeds

Go to solution

No ISP guarantees wifi speed, there are too many variables to affect the signal. Why not move the router to a better location, either run an Ethernet cable or use powerline adaptors between the ONT and router.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

We were told that the router had a specific port as its Fibre. Is that not true? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I have no idea what you mean by that.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
I cant move the router as the WAN port is under the stairs and I cant run any cables to anywhere else as its a rented house.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

You could use powerline adaptors to connect the ONT to hub. Something like these but you don't need to use BT ones.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-flex-1000-kit-080219-BB4X.html

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Haha set just arrived with the BT TV hub. 

Hopefully it will sort out the poor speed to the PS4. 

Thanks for your advice. 

0 Ratings