cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 13

Re: We as village residents do not seem to get benefits of the VDSL broadband introduction, what to

uptime is only 14hrs is this due to router dropping connection or manual reset?

any line noise    dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

your unstable connection has resulted in higher than normal 6db noise margin giving lower speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
peterbr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 13

Re: We as village residents do not seem to get benefits of the VDSL broadband introduction, what to

As mentioned earlier the line gets dropped frequently ( at least once a day) on the exchange side.

Before the switch from ADSL to VDSL ( end of Feb) line was in excellent condition, 18Mb constantly with up times for multiple month. I'm using same HUB and no change in the configuration on my side.

Line test gives a quiet line, no noise.

There is no instability at my side of the line, The wire between the house and the exchange for ADSL was in great condition. So is it safe to assume that the wire from the house to the FTC cabinet is ok, but the connection in the cabinet might not be.

It seems like we're impacted too by a well know issue, cross talk on the line when more and more lines are connected to the FTTC cabinet. As BT is moving everyone away from ADSL, this is what seems to happen. 

So this might actually be an other valid reason to introduce an other FTTC cabinet in the village as the cross talk issue will only get worse, hence line speeds dropping for all hoes connected, see article https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis

Having a single cabinet that is already located over the limit ( 200-400m) for good connection quality for almost any house in the village makes things double bad.

The more I think about it and find out about it, the more disappointed ( and Im being very moderate in my language here) I am.
The conversation with the BT sales team I had when going through this upgrade process was all about how great it was to move from ADSL to FTTC. I tried to keep my ADSL connection, but that was no option!

So I really feel conned into something with made promises, that BT ( not that poor sales guy) knowingly were wrong.
Seeing that cross talk is a know issue, experienced by many more customers and now that ADSL is forced out things will only get worse if there is no plan in place to increase the number of cabinets.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 13

Can't see Openreach investing on another cabinet and the costs entailed when they are concentrating on rolling out FTTP.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/01/openreach-add-227-rural-uk-areas-to-fttp-broadband-rol... 

0 Ratings