cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: We're giving you faster broadband ...

Go to solution

can you try speedtest.net and post results   just in case BTspeedtester is again having problem - which is not uncommon

you don't have anything else running  like backup or streaming

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
CJ57
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

16 / 18.06 / 4.41 - as I've said,  it doesn't matter which one I use.  Nothing else running, even switched off my  mobile!

Appreciate the responses but running more and more tests clearly isn't getting us anywhere.

0 Ratings
CJ57
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

You have to chuckle.  Just been through the BT Troubleshooter and tells me everything is fine but I could improve things by upgradingmy package (err you were increasing my speed for 'free' and messed it up)  or buying a smarthub.  You can just see where their interest and focus lies, even their diagnostics are geared to sales.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

your stats certainly show 64mb connection speed which is right at bottom end of estimated speed range.  At this time of date you are not peak time so congestion should not be a problem   are you connecting your device by ethernet direct to one of the ports on the hub - no switches or powerline adapters being used?  tried different ethernet cable?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

@CJ57  Just to clarify, you are talking about download speeds, ISPs only guarantee connection speeds, which in your case is 64Mbps.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @CJ57  and thanks for posting.

Sorry you’re having problems with the connection. Can you just confirm how you’re connecting to the hub as per @imjolly  post?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
CJ57
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

So this morning I though let's start from scratch - again.  Switched everything off, went and had a coffee, came back and switched everything back on - latency /  speeds showing as 16 / 55.6 / 15.3.  A little later I re-ran and it was roughly the same, so it appears to have been resolved - for now.

I'd tried this before without any luck so no idea what changed - same ethernet cable, same connection, no change to pc apps or system - just the  BT  'speed upgrade'.  Yet to see if the drops I've experienced have gone away but content for the time being.

Interestingly I've seen adverts saying smarthubs were free to those upgrading to Fibre - well I got fibre  sometime back and they left me with a HH5 - obviously a 'new customers only' policy, so still can't say I'm particularly happy with BT and certainly won't be springing for one at £130 / £200  if it's likely I'm going to leave them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

if your connection is now performing as it should then I would stick with hh5 - if not broke don't fix it

0 Ratings