cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saffiny
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Weather based connection drops, will openreach believe me?

Changed from TT ADSL to VDSL BT Fiber plus on the 26th of October, after the DLM had testedt my line for the 10 days i was left with 60 down 20 up (way above what i was promised, so was very happy)

Then November the 28th happened, very strong winds and rain, and exactly as that was happening my connection wouldnt stay up, 3 days later, i started to get crackling on the phoneline.

an OR engineer was apparently coming to visit on tuesday, didnt show up and the "fault was fixed at the exchange" which i doubt since that line was barely a month old, and the problems were persisting, like, honestly, nothing at all had changed, my connection stays up so long as there is no wind, and im 100000% sure it's the wind since i can actually time huge gusts of wind to the internet dropping out.

Now the problem is, there is an engineer coming out on monday, and apparently monday is a sunny day with no wind, so this seems like its going to be an absolute nightmare to get fixed.

would recording the 17070 quiet line test and let him listen to it help? or do i have to just get an engineer to come out on a windy day

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Weather based connection drops, will openreach believe me?

It really depends on the calibre of the Openreach engineer you get. A weather related fault will be due to a corroded wire/joint somewhere that is being disturbed by the weather so will depend on how diligent the engineer is in attempting to locate the fault. If the majority of your line is underground and just a wire from the pole to your house, it shouldn't be too difficult to check the likely locations.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

If it happens when it’s windy it kinda narrows it down to the overhead drop cable.

I wouldn’t worry about it being a clear sunny day as windy conditions can easily be generated by violently shaking said drop wire with a stick.
Saffiny
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

I've made a recording of the quiet line test sounding like a bowl of coco pops, and that it only happens when theres a gust of wind, hopfully he doesnt just arrive and plug his machine into the line and it shoes 0 faults and away he goes.

0 Ratings