cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 12

Weather causing internet loss

Hello,

Looking for advice on a problem I've noticed in the last few weeks. It appears moderate to heavy rainfall knocks out my internet for the duration of the weather. My internet usually comes back up once the rain as ended. This may not be much of an issue if you live in a nice hot climate however I live in England where it rains every other day.

As this is obviously an outside issue should I contact BT engineers or attempt to fix it myself?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Weather causing internet loss

I would suggest that you contact BT and report a fault. If you start playing about with the infrastructure and cause any damage or problems you will be billed for repairing it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 3 of 12

As it's almost definately an exterior problem what do you propose to do to fix it, climb up the nearest pole?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

do you have a noisy phone line is there a dialtone when the weather is bad
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 12

I just called bt and spoke to an operator. The operator says he cannot book an engineer because there is no fault on the line, i explained to him that the internet goes down when it rains and he says then call back when its raining and the internet is down again.

After explaining the weather issue to him 3 times I may have called him an idiot. He proceeds to threaten me and say something about contacting secuirty to cut off my internet for the forseeable future before hanging up. £30 a month for this service....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Perhaps you shouldn't have called him an idiot!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 12

Maybe not, but how many times should I have to explain the issue. Its obviously a problem with the phone line, most likley a crack or something and the water is getting in. Unless I'm expected to climb the pole outside with some electrical tape then im gonna need an engineer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

If the fault is not there when it is not raining how do you expect the engineer to find the problem.

It would appear that the advice of the person you called an idiot was correct. Call them back when the fault is there.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 12

Lets say I call them when its raining and my internet is down.

They check the line and my internet is not working so they book an openreach engineer. right?

So the engineer comes out in lets say 3 working days and low and behold its a nice sunny day and my internet is fine.

Are you telling me the openreach enginner won't beable to climb the pole and find the problem because its not raining?

Its apparent that water from the rain is causing the internet loss, maybe the line is cracked/chafed or it needs replacing I don't know but one thing I do know is its not gonna matter what the weather is like to fix the issue. Because it doesn't need to be raining to replace or fix a phone line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

How do you know that the problem is "up the pole". It could be any where from your house to the cabinet. 

If you want an engineer you will need to contact them when there is a fault on the line. If there is no fault showing you won't get an engineer. 

Once BT see that there is a fault on the line, they will arrange for an Openreach engineer to call out and check the line. He will check the line regardless of whether or not it is raining at the time.

0 Ratings