cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

What are BT doing in my area

Hey folks I live in Randalstown in Northern Ireland when I arrived home today I noticed that all the kerbs had markings on them in yellow marking BT and arrows pointing from man holes to various poles.  I also on closer inspection notice a sizable number of trenches cut in the grass areas between poles.

I live in an EO only area but could it be that BT are marking and cutting ground to put FFTP or FTTrN as it seems strange to hire an excavator and cut quite a bit of grass between poles for something insignificant.

Anyone have any ideas if FTTP is planned?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: What are BT doing in my area

Civils will scan below the surface for existing cables, then mark them before starting groundworks, so the scan could of detected Openreach lines, gas pipes, electrics, sewers/drains and other utilities, which are then painted using spray paint so the work doesn't impact them.

It could also be Openreach planning the routes to lay cables.

Try your local council websites, most will list the permits and work in your postcode, along with any road closures etc, so you can see is being done.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 5

Its so strange that the only thing marked out and trenched is straight lines and micro trenches between telephone poles.  Electrical wires although close run across different sections of road and only BT manholes and Telephone polls and wiring routes are highlighted.

The area I am in is an EO only area behind the exchange and I did read somewhere BT wanted to start closing exchanges to save some money so switching EO over to FTTrN or FTTP would certainly promote this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 5

Randalstown isn't showing as FTTP build in progress or due in the next 3 months.2020-01-09 00_23_59-Fibre First_ Your future with broadband.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 5

Hi,

That's whats so weird there is a trench on all the grass areas and its only BT poles that are marked out even in the most remote part of the estate.

Given that the area has E/O lines I expect BT might be putting in a new cabinet or are planning FTTP.

I know what the map says but I lived in Antrim for a while in an FTTP property and its not listed,  Indeed quite a few premesis in Antrim have FTTP now including all new builds.

I would normally discount it but they have traffic cones / diggers and have already dug some ground away between poles so if they are going to do any major work then fingers crossed this is it.

A relative who lives in Antrim has their area mapped out by VM who are laying cables so It wouldn't surprise me that BT might be trying to play catchup as they may loose alot of customers to VM if they dont win other new ones over in under invested areas.

0 Ratings