Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

What do I do next?

Hi there,

So, before Christmas, I have Home Fibre 1 (i think that's what it was called).  I got an offer to upgrade to Home Fibre 2 at a good price, so I did.

When I was on HF1 - I was getting 55-65 Mbps.   HF2 was offering 67Mbps on average for about £12 less a month.

Problem is, I am now getting a much slower speed than I was with HF1.  I have tested it several times and at most, when everything is off, during the middle of the day, I get 55Mbps.

My PC is wired directly through to the new smart hub.  I have bought a new filter and no effect.  I have tried both my daughters wireless laptops and, as you would expect, it's on about 45Mbps.

I bought a wireless dongle (just in case) and hit about 45Mbps.

BT Sent an Engineer and, even he said that there seems to be something wrong and that BT would contact me.  They texted me saying I am getting a stable 56Mbps, which isn't true.

I have used BT Wholesale (as their speedchecker doesn't work) and Broadbandspeedchecker another online speed tester.

Upon further investigation it appears my line is only rated to 53mbps anyway, so why did BT "Upgrade" my Broadband to a so called 67Mbps super fast fibre 2 when, actually, I can't even receive it?

Also, the Smart Hub doesn't even come with a Filter or a ADSL Lead to the filter.

Things I have tried:

Plugged old Router in and same result.

Restarted Smart Hub (a lot) same result.

Changed Filter for a new one same result.

Does anyone know where I go to from here?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

BT1.jpg

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: What do I do next?

Any guaranteed speeds are sync speeds not download speeds. Please post your hub line stats and checker results.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

As you said in your post the 67mb is an average connection speed and as such some customer will more than 67mb whereas others will get less hence the 67mb average

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date

ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
Left in JumperObserved SpeedsVDSLOther Offerings

Availability Date

Premise environmentStatus
VDSL Range A (Clean)8061.8201956.2AvailableAvailable-- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)8059.5201953AvailableAvailable-- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 4--2.5 to 6.5Available--Yes 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 4Up to 0.52.5 to 6.5Available--Yes 
ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--2 to 5.5Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available--Yes 
Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps)55.13     
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps)20     
Observed Date2020-01-14     
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapN      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date07-01-2020      

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Thank you for your interest.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

FAQ

1. Downstream Test: 

-provides background information.

Download Speed
 49.01 Mbps

0 Mbps53.12 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speed

achieved during the test was - 49.01 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds

is 40 Mbps-53.12 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 53.12 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: 

-provides background information.

Upload Speed
 18.74 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed

achieved during the test was - 18.74Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Hi, 

So the first test is the speed that I should be achieving and the second post is the post for maximum speed of 53.12MBps that my line is achievable. 

So, clearly, according to that first page (kindly suggested) it says I should get 60 - 80 mbps (if I'm reading it correctly).

Thanks though, I can now go back to BT and ask them to put me on a different switch in the box that holds (according to the BT Engineer) more wires than he's EVER seen in a box coming into our estate.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

it would help if you posted hub stats  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information and if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk

is there any line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone from test socket

your current conenction speed is marginally below handback speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Hiya,

Thanks for helping me.   Hopefully this is what you're looking at.  It probably means more to you than it does to me.

Many thanks

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ93132227

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E01E

Firmware updated:

24-Dec-2019

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

8 Days, 0 Hours 12 Minutes 54 Seconds

Data rate:

20.00 Mbps / 54.94 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

22319 / 56787

Noise margin:

7.3 dB / 6.3 dB

Line attenuation:

14.5 dB

Signal attenuation:

0 dB / 14.5 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

19028 MB Uploaded / 257598 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-2GS3

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-2GS3

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

78:65:59:8E:5A:77

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0.48.8-sec

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

....and so it gets slower and slower and this is using BT's own speed checker.  Router restarted and left a few minutes to settle.20200206_203736.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

That is measuring download speed whereas all the speeds quoted by BT and dslchecker are connection speed

your connection speed is virtually at attainable speed.

are you using or have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your connection speed - even if you currently are connecting using a filtered master socket

0 Ratings