cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 45

Re: What does Exploring Solutions really mean?

Go to solution

No, that's not a FTTC cabinet.

Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 45

Go to solution
Looks like one of the cabients that's located next to a mobile cell site.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Message 13 of 45

Go to solution

That's what I thought.

PeteHowell50
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 45

Go to solution

Morning all,

Here's my reply from Openreach.

Dear Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

You’re connected to Exchange CROWNHILL Cabinet 98.

I’m really sorry but having investigated our network data, we’re not currently able to supply you with a fibre service from our existing network. Unfortunately your property isn’t currently included in the fibre roll-out because as you may know, we normally provide fibre via a green cabinet that you see by the road side. Unfortunately you fall into a small proportion of homes and businesses that are served directly by your local exchange, by what we call an exchange only or EO line. This means that our normal way of connecting you won’t work, however we’re busy working on solutions to make this viable in the future. These solutions are in the early stages of planning at the moment.

Fibre Broadband

I’d like to reassure you of our ambition to bring Superfast fibre to as much of the UK as rapidly as possible. We’re pushing ahead to complete one of the most ambitious rollouts of fibre broadband anywhere in the world. Our £3bn investment coupled with the government’s BDUK programme means fibre currently passes more than 80% of homes and businesses in the UK. We’re working in partnership with the majority of councils across the UK to increase the fibre broadband footprint to over 95% by the end of 2017.

I appreciate this is disappointing news and this isn’t necessarily the final position. Plans do change as our network grows and it’s worth keeping an eye on our website http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/ where we publish the very latest fibre coverage information. For further information regarding Government initiatives within your area please visit http://superfast-openreach.co.uk/rural-broadband/ which covers all areas and not just rural.

Another option is to think about getting together with neighbours or a local community group and raising the money to help build the network yourself. We offer a community fibre partnership scheme where we work with local communities to jointly fund fibre cabinets. We can’t always guarantee this will be feasible, but we’d be willing to look at it if you are interested. To find out more, visit our website www.openreach.co.uk/communityfibre or to contact the team by email: ngb@openreach.co.uk.

Finally

Thank you again for taking the time to write to us and although I appreciate this isn’t the answer you are looking for, I hope you understand that we have a real commitment to delivering Superfast fibre to the people and businesses of Britain. I’m sorry that we have not yet been able to provide you with this service and we really do hope that this position will change in the future

Sounds to me like I might be waiting a long time, if at all to get fibre.  Am I better off looking at cable solutions?

I really appreciate everyone's input so far.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 45

Go to solution

@PeteHowell50 wrote:

Hi all,

I moved house in April and have gone from 71Mbps Infinity to 5Mbps Broadband, you try explainging that to 2 teenagers who live on Youtube.  I've gone through the availability checker and it says 'Exploring Solutions'.  Obviously, I've recorded my interest so maybe that will help...

However, I am connected to a Fibre Enabled Cabinet (Crownhill 98) and live about half a mile/800m away.

Here are my ADSL Checker results.

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 9.5 -- 7.5 to 15.5 Available -- --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 9.5 Up to 1 7.5 to 15.5 Available -- --
ADSL Max Up to 6 -- 5.5 to 8 Available -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --

I

Any help to get better speeds woudl be greatly appreciated, I'd rather not leave BT for another provider.

Thank You

If you are only getting 5Mbs, you may be stuck on ADSL max, and not ADSL2+ which goes up to 15.5Mbs.

ADSL2+ should be more that adequate for YouTube, even with multiple users. Its quite easy to get this changed.

Which BT home hub do you have?

PeteHowell50
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 45

Go to solution

I'm not at home at the moment, but I think it's a HH5.

There's an Xbox One hardwired, Xbox One wireless, PC hardwired, at least 3 smartphones and 3 tablets.  Oviosuly they're not all going at the same time but usually there's at least the wireless Xbox and a PC going.  I sometimes struggle to watch Twitch or Youtube at higher qualities without it buffering every 10 seconds or so, although it does work fine at lower qualities but it is an awful picture to watch.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 45

Go to solution

@PeteHowell50 wrote:

I'm not at home at the moment, but I think it's a HH5.

Please display the full connection statistics including noise margin.

I think you navigate to troubleshooting/helpdesk

That should help to determine the mode of modulation and see if you are on ADSL max or ADSL2+.

Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 45

Go to solution
I agree with above and that a switch to ADSL2+ should help alleviate some of the issues. When you get home, could you post up the connection stats from your home hub so we can take a look and double check?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
PeteHowell50
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 45

Go to solution

Excellent replies, thank you.

It won't be until tomorrow as I work away during the week, I assume I run the diagnostic by logging in to the router?

Thanks, again.

0 Ratings
PeteHowell50
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 45

Go to solution

Oops, just read the edited reply.  I'll give that a go tomorrow.  Thanks.

0 Ratings