cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcdieimp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

What does it all mean?

Can someone translate this email from nga.enquiries please?  Context is Openreach installed FTTP in my apartment block last May, including access panels in flats, BT said until Feb this year I could get 160meg fibre and now (when I want it) it says no infinity packages are available in the area and I can only get ASDL.  I wrote to openreach and got this response which is not what I'd call "plain English".

Thank you for your enquiry.  From the telephone number provided you are connected to the Poplar Exchange.

Our deployment is based on the commercial criteria for each exchange and in turn, how broadband is delivered from the exchange. Unfortunately, your line is fed directly from the exchange and as such fails to meet the commercial criteria. This is because the solution to deploy Fibre Broadband to provide a return on the investment based on the costs for the construction and ongoing running costs of providing a solution is currently too high.

However, we are working hard to provide a solution to the problem of lines directly fed from an exchange. Unfortunately, at this time, we don’t have a timescale for deployment.

Where cabinets or lines fed directly from exchanges are not commercially viable Government funding is available to county councils and it is worth registering your interest on the local council website.

You may also wish to lobby your local councillor on progress in your local area.

You can also register your interest on the Openreach website at;  www.openreach.co.uk.

I appreciate it is frustrating but we are deploying Fibre Broadband on a commercial basis and are not able to provide service to your exchange fed line on that basis.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: What does it all mean?

Basically because your line is fed directly from the exchange and it does not go via a Cab (PCP) you are at this stage unable to get high speed broadband.

With infinity the broadband is piggybacked on your line at the cab, without this cab you are unable to get the high speed BB.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Helps to read the bit about their appartment block being cabled with fibre by openreach.

They might not have updated their records yet. Whats your block called?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

It's not at all clear.  Perhaps they have run out of FTTP lines, so you can only get a copper one?

0 Ratings
mcdieimp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

New Atlas Wharf

FTTP was installed last May. I spoke to the Openreach guys doing it when I paid for them to install an access panel in my flat.

BT was offering th 160mb package up until this Feb. As my ASDL was deteriorating I decided to switch. But all the Infinity packages disappeared, even the basic ones available before the FTTP was installed.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

The only thing I can think of is that maybe their database is wrong or they have actually run out of lines to that building. I know it has FTTP as there was a lot of activity late last year when it all went live. You may need to contact the nga email again and hope it gets answered by a different opperator. Maybe mention that your building is an MDU (multiple dwelling unit) thats been fitted with FTTP, which you probably already did.