cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bedfellow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

What fibre speed should I be getting, based on these figures?

According to BT Wholesale, this is what my cabinet is capable of:

High	Low	High	Low		
FTTC Range A (Clean)	58.4	42.8	15.8	10.4	--	Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)	42	22.4	12.2	5.8	--	Available

My router/modem says this is what I'm getting:

6. Data rate:	        9995 / 34800
7. Maximum data rate:	14968 / 35939
8. Noise margin:	9.8 / 4.7
9. Line attenuation:	28.0 / 21.0
10. Signal attenuation:	27.9 / 19.8

Given the above, what speed should I expect to be getting?

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: What fibre speed should I be getting, based on these figures?

looks like you are on infinity 1 and with the estimate from dslchecker I would be expecting 40/10 connection

are you using the test socket with a new filter to eliminate your internal wiring as causing a problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bedfellow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

No, I'm not plugged directly into the test socket, it is on an extension socket within a 10 metre cable run from the master socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

can you connect hub directly with a filter to the test socket without the 10m extension cable as that may be causing the problem especially the standard flat type extension cable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
bedfellow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Looks like that is the answer. Plugging it directly into the test socket results in:

6. Data rate:	        9995 / 39993
7. Maximum data rate:	19506 / 57298
8. Noise margin:	12.7 / 11.7
9. Line attenuation:	25.5 / 20.5
10. Signal attenuation:	25.4 / 20.0

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

You should get the full 52M when your line gets upgraded to the new Infinity1 speeds.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

that's a lot better   not only has speed improved but noise margin looks far better now as well

0 Ratings
bedfellow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 22

Problem is, when I plug directly into the front of the master socket the speed goes down again. I can only get those speeds directly plugged into the test socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

then you have a problem with either your internal wiring or the master faceplate or both.  you could upgrade your master to an SSFP mk3 fibre SSFP.jpg

0 Ratings
bedfellow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 22

Looks like it's the extension causing the problem. If I plug in a different faceplate then I get the speed back.

Maybe I'll need to ask BT to move the master socket? How much so they charge for that?

0 Ratings