Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
srowen
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

What no power light on OpenReach modem really means

A day after my BT Infinity 2 broadbad was installed, the OpenReach modem failed. The power light was off even when plugged in -- although it would come on for 5 seconds or so at first. 

On calling fisrt-line support I was told that this is 'normal' for up to 10 days, apparently referring to the old DSL 'line stabilisation' period which could cause brief interruptions and resync. The rep insisted that it was normal to have no internet for hours, and that it may be off for the better part of 10 days, even after I noted that line stabilisation is typically associated with slower speeds if anything, not lack of connection entirely and certainly not a dead modem.

A second call got a much better response: second-line support sent an engineer the next day who immediately agreed it was a faulty modem, replaced, and all is well.

I'm disappointed with the script / rep that tried to hustle me off the phone with a fairly clearly incorrect diagnosis, but am pleased with the resolution after that.

So, note to customers and BT: can we note that a modem with no power light is not a line stabilisation issue and requires replacement? to save a less tenacious customer 10 days without internet.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 8

It means "no power"

It means "no power"

--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 3 of 8

Re: It means "no power"

@legitimise_sailing wrote:

It means "no power"

What legitimise_sailing said either your socket has no power or the modem power pack or modem itself has gone down! Case and point the Script Readers don't know what they are doing. Go back to them after making sure power is at your socket, plug in a hoover or something. Once that has been established as working the only things that it could be are the modem or it's power pack adaptor. Good luck

0 Ratings
siteguru
Expert
Message 4 of 8

Perhaps people need to read the OP properly?

The situation is resolved (in this case). The complaint is regarding the script readers in the call centre trying to fob the OP off with a nonsense response; one which other more-susceptible customers might just accept, thus being without internet for days on end for ENTIRELY THE WRONG REASON.

Thanks
Ian
http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/ADSL2PlusForDummies.pdf - Having ADSL issues? Then read this PDF
Please don't click the star beside my name - too many stars makes you look like a swot!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 8

Re: What no power light on OpenReach modem really means

Perhaps people need to read the subject?
--
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 8

Re: What no power light on OpenReach modem really means

I think siteguru's comment was aimed at Enigma.

0 Ratings
srowen
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Correct, what I mean is that no power light means what you think it means (after you've ruled out the obvious things like a bad socket): the modem itself is faulty. It is not a "normal" line stabilization issue that can last for 10 days, but, that's what I was told by one BT rep. I'm advising customers with a similar problem to not accept this answer, which is as wrong as it sounds.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 8

The old 10 day training myth - stops you calling for 10 days, and uses up your cooling-off period.
--
0 Ratings