cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

What’s available for me ???? HELP

I have recently moved into a new build property. It is a small development surrounded by old terrace houses. 

There is a black cable poking out of the path next to the house that the builder says is the phone line (?)  We tried to get broadband through Plusnet but they told us the max speed they could offer us would be 3.5mbs- they said to call bt and ask about fibre. After contacting bt they said fibre was not available but checking using our neighbours post code across the road fibre is available?? According to the dsl checker we are on the same cabinet - number 25 

There are 2 green cabinets directly in front of our house. What do you think is the best thing to do and realistically what’s the best speed we can expect ? Currently a bt engineer is coming to install the phone line - would it be best to get the phone line installed and ask the engineer about fibre ? 

Why on the dsl check is VDSL not available ? 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
RobbieBaron
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: What’s available for me ???? HELP

What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number & your neighbour's? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out phone numbers. If it doesn't recognise a phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

This is my house. https://imgur.com/a/og86Itx

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

This is my neighbour - no more than 20 m away. Both connected to the same cabinet - 25

https://imgur.com/a/VpHkxVW

0 Ratings
RobbieBaron
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Did you do the neighbour by address not postcode? There's a postcode at top.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Yes - that’s by address. I just cut it off for privacy 

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 7 of 11

VDSL availability won't show until you have a working landline. It can take up to 10 days for the database to be updated once your line goes live.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

you need to decide which ISP you intend to us then order a phone line  once you have the line then as @pippincp  says openreach database will get updated and then you should be able to order broadband from ISP who you have phone with

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

@imjollywrote:

you need to decide which ISP you intend to us then order a phone line  once you have the line then as @pippincp  says openreach database will get updated and then you should be able to order broadband from ISP who you have phone with

As an ordinary consumer who has been through this with 3 new builds, I know this is a hugely frustrating chicken-and-egg situation.  Essentially we would like to be able to make a free choice over broadband ISP, probably combined with other related services such as landline for value and simplicity. The trouble is, as @imjolly has said, you have to commit to a landline provider before the next step can even begin! In hindsight, when everything is eventually in place, you could well regret your choice of landline provider but what else can you do?

Talking to the neighbours is a great start - but bear three things in mind: firstly there can be odd variations in service availability even from one property to the next; secondly your neighbours' wants, needs and expectations may differ significantly from yours; finally, available deals can vary considerably from week-to-week, never mind as long ago as your neighbours package was agreed.   

RobbieBaron
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

There are landline providers who would offer 1 month rolling contracts after installation for about £60. After which you could switch to the BB ISP of your choice unhindered.

0 Ratings